(click the spaceship for BioPod info)

ufocrash

The first shipment of BioPods has arrived at the ProtaCulture warehouse and will begin shipping out soon. I can’t wait to retire my homemade BSF unit!

The BioPod

And now for my BioPod blurb:

The BioPod is a convenient tool for using black soldier fly larvae (Hermetia illucens) to bio-compost organic waste like kitchen scraps as well as raising them as animal feed or fish bait. As the larvae mature they self-harvest into the collection bucket and can be released or used to feed reptiles, fowl, amphibians, wild birds, or as excellent fish bait.

The BioPod food composter was designed by Dr. Paul Olivier, his company ProtaCulture and it’s parent company ESR Intl. Dr. Olivier is one of the pioneers of black soldier fly related technology as well as other innovative green technologies. If you decide to culture black soldier fly larvae a BioPod will simplify the process and you will supporting a great company too.

7 thoughts on “The BioPods have landed!

• June 30, 2008 at 11:30 am

Hi GW, just want to remind you that I still want a unit.

How do you wish to be paid (besides rapidly)?
    Hope all is well,
    Randy

• June 30, 2008 at 11:57 am

Hi Randy.

I’m setting up the shopping cart as we type. :) I’ll let you know when it’s ready.

Thanks.

• June 23, 2009 at 10:45 am

hi, i am albert from malaysia, how can i get one of these biopod and any are you looking for any dealer in malaysia?
    looking at your bsf i can’t find any bsf in my place that look similiar to those in your pic. does asian country has any suitable fly that we can culture with the bio pod? thank you

• June 25, 2009 at 7:06 am

Hi albert,

BioPods are manufactured in Vietnam, and the closest distributor I know of is http://www.circle3.com/

I don’t know of another fly that has the same behaviors as black soldier flies, but I’m certain that BSF are present in Malaysia. They are in Australia, Vietnam and the Philippines so I can’t imagine they aren’t in your area.

• April 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I have not seen where I can purchase an original 2 or 4 foot bio pod anywhere… only biopod plus (rectangle tub which seems inferior). I really want the original design. Anyone have answers? thanks!

• April 16, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Just email me thanks!

• May 27, 2012 at 1:01 am

I have seen many, many homemade units online… I have even made and used one that still could work with small modifications, however, I just made a biconverter that I have high hopes for! I will try and take pics, maybe even vid to explain construction. It has a very small capacity but seems like the BSFL will be able to harvest themselves at my place soon!