I believe black soldier fly larvae (Hermetia illucens) represent the most logical method for dealing with the constant stream of putrescent waste that humans create. Putrescent waste is anything that gets putrid (rots) and is mostly wasted food. BSF aren’t magic but it’s hard to imagine a much more efficient solution to a growing problem.
The process of feeding organic wastes to black soldier fly larvae is called bio-conversion. That’s because the process doesn’t exactly eliminate the garbage, it converts it into BSF larvae. Rotting garbage is a liability and BSF larvae are a valuable asset. You can read more about bio-conversion HERE.
Generally accepted data about black soldier flies and larvae
- They are not associated with the transmission of diseases.
- They don’t bite or sting and they avoid human habitats.
- Their presence in waste deters or even eliminates house fly reproduction in that waste.
- Larvae rapidly consume almost any organic waste except for high cellulose items like yard waste or paper.
- Larvae reduce the volume of household food waste by up to 95%.
- A 2 foot (60cm) container of larvae can process several pounds of household food waste in 24 hours.
- When larvae mature they will self harvest using a simple ramp system.
- Live larvae are very nutritious and are readily consumed by many different animals (pigs, chickens, reptiles, fish, etc).
- Meal made from dried larvae is roughly equal to Menhaden fish meal, a valuable and widely used ingredient in animal feeds.
- BSF grubs can be processed to create bio-fuels and other valuable products
I’m making the claim that bio-conversion of putrescent waste with BSF larvae is the best way to deal with the constant stream of rotting waste that goes into landfill. The challenge is simple, state any significant problem that might be caused by using BSF to convert our organic garbage into nutritious animal feed or high quality products for industry such as bio-fuels.
Let’s not wait
Burying our food waste in giant rotting mounds is ridiculous given the elegant solution represented by bio-conversion with black soldier fly larvae. The technology already exits and represents the essence of sustainablity. What in the world are we waiting for?