EDIT: I’m sorry to say that we will probably not be shipping starter kits this year. If you have a good source you would like to recommend please feel free to do so in the comment section.

We’re beginning to get a lot of inquiries about BSF starter kits as usual for this time of year. In previous years we produced and sold a kit but we haven’t decided if we will do so this year. We will post our decision here as soon as possible. Thanks!

19 thoughts on “BSF starter kits for 2011

• April 14, 2011 at 7:11 am

I would like to ry again while it’s warm to establish a colony of BSF as it got too cold last year and I didn’t have a greenhouse built. Please keep me updated on available grubs as I may have a sufficient composter.

• April 23, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Hi I have a bucket outside with kitchen scraps in it do u think the bsf will find it? or should I just purchase some . Thanks dan

• April 23, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Hi Dan,

It depends on whether you even have them in your area, and if it’s warm enough there for BSF reproduction now.

• May 2, 2011 at 11:36 pm

hi a guy email me and he said there in columbus ohio so hopefully i ll be getting some flies around here

• May 3, 2011 at 7:48 am

I have never seen them here (Except the ones I bought and lost) I hope you’re right. If you were to buy some- how would you winterize them? Where are you, Dan?

• May 4, 2011 at 9:50 am

hi i live in richfield ohio near akron and cleveland . the guy in columbus is only 2 hours away . am i am not sure how i would winter them .

• May 4, 2011 at 9:51 am

and also i live on a farm so it shouldnt be to hard getting them . dan

• May 11, 2011 at 9:46 am

I was wondering if your bsf harvester worked or not. Any luck?

• May 15, 2011 at 9:46 am

Hi Chuck,

If you mean the bucket composter it worked fine for what it is. That design is meant to be a learning tool and not a high volume composter. You can process several ounces of food scraps per day with it. It’s basically a design that can be made relatively inexpensively so you can decide if you want to take on larger projects.

• June 1, 2011 at 10:33 am

I live in SW Oregon in a Zone 7-8. Will there be BSF
    in my area year round? we have had Temps in the low
    teen on some occations. If I put a bio-system inside
    a heated outbuilding, will they continue to lay eggs
    and produce thru winter here?
    Thanks

• June 8, 2011 at 9:03 am

I live in Superior WI. I need BSF larva to start with, I would think there are very few if any in the wild up here. Does anyone have a couple of pounds to sell?

Thanks
    Michelle

• June 8, 2011 at 9:16 am

Hi Michelle,

I hate to be negative but raising BSF so far north will be very challenging. Few people have been successful but if you want to try it you might want to join our forum so you can get some feedback.

• June 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm

In response to Jeffery L Lund, I am in SW Oregon as well (Medford) and I successfully started (from the wild) and raised a colony of BSF last summer. It took a week or two to attract some females to lay eggs, but they came eventually. I used an accumulation of very rotten, nasty, smelly kitchen scrap sludge to initially attract them, then just let them go nuts, feeding them whatever I could. I didn’t get a good harvesting system implemented…that’s next for this year. In the fall as the temps decreased, they slowed and eventually stopped. I did not have a warm building to put them in, but be aware that they will we flying all over the place if you do this. Maybe not ideal if they would have access in the living space.
    This year, I have the smelly bin of junk out, but have not seen any flies or eggs yet. I expect they’ll show up soon though, with the warm weather we’re getting.

• June 12, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Hi Matthew,

I’m very interested in your experiences and would be happy if you joined our forum so we can facilitate a better discussion. Either way thanks for sharing.

• September 5, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Hello all –
    What a wonderful forum this is! I’ve learned a ton already.
    I recently discovered BSF in my worm bin and now I have a thriving colony. Since I keep chickens I plan on keeping this colony and breed more for feed. As a novice BSF farmer I have a question that I hope you can help me with. I live in Oregon and want to make sure I can keep my colony going all year round … is that possible? I have a heated greenhouse and wonder if that will suffice for the winter. If I can’t breed SBF year round, how do I store eggs or adults for next spring?

Thanks a bunch!
    Thomas

• October 6, 2011 at 7:58 am

I am in Minnesnowta, and am planning to try keeping a screened tent in my heated & insulated pole shed (at 80 degrees). The screened tent is for mature larvae to migrate into and mature, and mate. I will have corrugated cardboard for egg collection, and may have a BioPod or 2 located in the tent for them to lay directly in. It will already be heated for my Aquaponics system.

• October 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I would like to start a BSF colony, and am vacationing in the Jacksonville area the next few days. Is there anyone in this area that has a set-up I can see?

• February 14, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I would like to start a bin going and would prefer not to stink out the neighbors, so if someone in the Medford,Or area has some that i could get i could pay you for some.

Ron

• February 14, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Hi Ron,

I received an email from someone who might be able to help you. If you want him to contact you please contact me via the contact link and I’ll give him your email address. http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/contact-us/