View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 

Post Kihei, Maui, Hawaii
Location - Kihei, Maui, Hawaii, USA (20.7752329, -156.4579145, N20° 46.514', W156° 27.4749')

Elevation - Sea Level

Dates that BSF adults are observed: I suspect they are year around in Hawaii. I got my BioPod on Feb 7, 2017, and get my first larvae March 28, 2017. First New flies hatched April 17th, 2017 from my hatchery.
Type of waste being consumed: I am not sure what exactly attracted them. I started with wet dog food then added kitchen scraps. I went to Starbucks and got some free coffee grounds and threw those in. Then I went to Jamba Juice and got some free pulp. This was all over the course of multiple weeks. I really could not tell if I was attracting the BSF so as a last resort I started adding the remains of rotisserie chicken. I now feed them pulp, coffee grounds, and kitchen scraps. No more meat! Way too many black house flies.

Adult flies: Seem to see them during the warmer and sunniest part of the day. We have significantly increased our local population and see them in our garden regularly. They land on us from time to time.

Credit. It is fine to publish my full name.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:43 am
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Kihei, Maui, Hawaii
rverdahl welcome to our forum :) If you'd like you can introduce yourself here (link).

Photos of the adults and/or larvae will help us confirm your sighting.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:36 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Global Moderator

Thanks for the photos Robert and your location will be added to the map shortly.

Attachment:
Robert Verdahl_IMG_0589b.jpg
Robert Verdahl_IMG_0589b.jpg [ 494.75 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]

Attachment:
Robert Verdahl_IMG_0593b.jpg
Robert Verdahl_IMG_0593b.jpg [ 518.79 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:57 am
Global Moderator

You're on the map (link). We're also interested in any future seasonal data you can provide. The flies are most active in warm weather but we would like to get more definite data on their active season. Dates of first sighting in the spring and last in the fall would be ideal and can be posted here.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]