View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Calamba City, Laguna, Philippines 
Global Moderator

Post Calamba City, Laguna, Philippines
Submitted by email from Russell:

Location - Calamba City, Laguna, Philippines (GPS: 14.21958 121.17975)

Elevation - 8 metres

Observed: Sproadically since June 2015 when the occasional BSF flew into the apartment. Continually since February 2016 when I accidentally composted some fresh sweet corn in a plastic bag that got put under a bench in the kitchen instead of into the refrigerator. When I saw the larvae I started a compost bin and have had a constant presence ever since. BSF eggs laid very often, constant supply of new larvae. Sightings are more common on bright sunlit days, and no sightings on rainy days. The temperatures here haven't dipped below 26 C (96), and then only at night.

Larval stages seen: From egg to mature lavae and all sizes in between. Waste consumed includes all kitchen waste - potato peel, orange peel, banana skins, any stale food, fat trimmings, onion peel, over-ripe fruit, fish frames and heads, rabbit offal, garden waste. Eggs constantly present in the corrugated cardboard inside the air vents.

Adult flies: Rarely in the mornings, usually after 1 p.m. on sunny days. Observed laying eggs in special egg traps placed in vents on compost bin. Occasional adults seen inside the apartment.

Attachment:
DSC_8321.JPG
DSC_8321.JPG [ 232.02 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_8322.JPG
DSC_8322.JPG [ 167.66 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:12 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: Calamba City, Laguna, Philippines
Russell your location will be added to the map shortly.

Attachment:
File comment: Cropped for map info window
DSC_8322crop.jpg
DSC_8322crop.jpg [ 113.24 KiB | Viewed 970 times ]

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:20 am
Global Moderator

Post Re: Calamba City, Laguna, Philippines
Russell you're on the map (link). We're also interested in any future seasonal data you can provide. The flies are most active in warm weather but we would like to get more definite data on their active season. Dates of first sighting in the spring and last in the fall would be ideal and can be posted here.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]