BSF Mapping Project - information needed
UPDATE: We now want to include the dates of sightings so that we can also map the seasonality of BSF reproduction for each location.
The BSF Mapping Project is a Google map displaying the locations of confirmed BSF sightings/populations and range of dates in any given season. We will continually add data which is submitted with adequate documentation. To submit data please click here
to start a new thread in this section with your country/state/city etc. in the title or you may use the following email link firstname.lastname@example.org
Provide as much of the following information as possible:Location
- City, county, province, prefecture, etc., or specific coordinates (see notes below map at the bottom of this post). If providing coordinates note that to protect your privacy you may want select a point away from your actual residence but within the general area.Elevation
- If you know the elevation of your location please include it. Otherwise we'll get it off the web which may be slightly less accurate.Photographic evidence or detailed description of anatomy
- As there are other species with larvae similar to BSFL photos of adult flies are preferred for positive identification (link
). You may upload images directly in your forum post by attaching the image files (link
) or post images using a url from a third party image host such as PhotoBucket, Image Shack, etc. Submitted photos will be uploaded to our server. If you prefer to send images directly to us you may use the following email link email@example.com
.The range of dates that BSF adults are observed.
- We all know that BSF are found in certain regions, but it's less known exactly when the adults first appear to begin mating and when they cease for the season in any particular location. Please include the date of your sighting and also update it as you can confirm earlier and later sightings. The aim is to establish when the flies are first seen in the spring and last seen in the fall for each location.For larvae
; size or stage of development-juvenile (light) or mature (dark), type of waste being consumedFor adult flies
; time of day, weather conditions, observed behaviorWebsite URL
- You may include the url for your website for inclusion in the published data.Credit
- Please clarify if you want your name to appear with the submission, whether you wish to publish your full or partial name, or if you want to use a screen (internet) name.
- To determine location coordinates you can use these online utilities
Coordinates can be in three formats: decimal degrees or degrees-minutes or degrees-minutes-seconds. These free online tools will give them in decimal degrees which are preferred but not mandatory.
To protect your privacy you may want select a point away from your actual residence but within the general area.
click image to view full screen map