View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 BSF seasonality- share earliest and latest adult sightings 
Site Admin

Post Deland Florida, US - BSF sightings April 15 - Dec. 14, 2013
Today I saw a few dozen BSF adults emerging from pupation. The pupae were in containers I use for storing them safely while they develop. I also observed a few egg clusters that would have been laid in the past day or two. The weather was sunny and warm earlier this week with highs around 80ºF/27ºC.

This is my first year rearing BSF in central Florida, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see breeding this late in the year. This is especially true since I didn't see my first adult until April 15th this year. I've seen BSF adults in Georgia in early April, so I assume that on average the season will begin here in late March.

Mike, you're better at organizing data than I am so please let me know if you have a better format for this idea. :ugeek:

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:56 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: BSF seasonality- share earliest and latest adult sightin
The format you suggested should be fine. I can update the map and individual threads as required.

Remember that for your initial location submission please start a new topic/thread in this section (though not in this topic/thread) with your country/state/city etc. in the title or you may use the following email link blacksoldierflymappingproject@gmail.com.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:11 pm
Site Admin

No problem BW. :D If this seems like it's too redundant or confusing I'll delete the topic.

I'm looking for a quick and convenient way to update the data as I see progressively later sightings. If the process isn't quick/convenient I'm afraid people will put it off and forget about it.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:24 pm
Global Moderator

BTW we don't have a submission for Deland Florida ;)

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:28 pm
Site Admin

:oops:

Adult BSF sightings for Deland Florida
April 15 - Dec. 14
24 meters above sea level

Attachment:
BSF laying in cardboard Aug 19-2013 w - 600px.jpg
BSF laying in cardboard Aug 19-2013 w - 600px.jpg [ 135.53 KiB | Viewed 3996 times ]

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:45 pm
Site Admin

Yesterday, Decemeber 21st, I observed four or five BSF laying eggs, and several dozen adults emerging from pupation. The adults I saw emerging were from larvae that I had collected and protected through pupation, but I did not store them in a way that would have likely influenced their development. In other words, I think their development would have been the same if they had not been part of my systems. I'm not doing any captive breeding, so I believe that the egg laying represents the natural life cycle that totally wild BSF are experiencing in this area.

Our high temperature for yesterday was approximately 85ºF/30ºC. The forecast is similar for the next few days with cooler weather predicted after that. The historical average high for December in this area is 70ºF/21ºC. Spring was late in coming this year and winter is following that pattern. This is my first year cultivating BSF in central Florida, and I'm very curious about what the start and ends dates of next year's BSF season will be.

Edit: Observed adult on 12/24
Edit: Observed adult on 12/27 - High temp for the day was 70ºF/21ºC
Edit: Observed adult laying eggs on 12/28

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:45 am
Site Admin

I had a few more egg clusters since the last post, but it's finally over for this season I think. I last observed adults on January 15th, which was a surprise to me. This is my first year culturing BSF in this area, and I wouldn't have guessed the season could go so late.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:18 am
Site Admin

Well, now I'm not sure how to define the season in central Florida. Two days ago, on February 5th, I saw adult BSF emerging from pupation. It was a very warm day with a high of approximately 82ºF/58ºC. I don't have any systems operating where they could receive eggs, so nothing to report regarding any possible mating...

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:31 pm
Site Admin

On March 31 I found the first egg cluster of the year.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]