View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Does this set up sound like it will work? 

Post Does this set up sound like it will work?
I designed my bin after NWRedworms in his youtube post "How to set up and run a black soldier fly larvae bin".

It's got drainage. I'm now going to put lava rocks (aprox 2-3" diameter) on the bottom 6 inches or so, then hardware cloth (to keep the rest of the stuff 'up'. Then a combination of coconut choir and peat moss. Then larvae. Does this sound like it will work?

I'm on the Big Island of Hawaii and the lava rock is free and I tore my own choir off of coconuts (NOT easy). My husband bought peat moss even though I hadn't asked him to, so I have to use some of that too!

I think I've finally read enough to know this will work, but I've seen so many posts here "This is what I just did" and seen comments on how it could have been done better.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:35 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Does this set up sound like it will work?
Susan wrote:
I designed my bin after NWRedworms in his youtube post "How to set up and run a black soldier fly larvae bin".
Here's the video

Quote:
It's got drainage. I'm now going to put lava rocks (aprox 2-3" diameter) on the bottom 6 inches or so, then hardware cloth (to keep the rest of the stuff 'up'. Then a combination of coconut choir and peat moss. Then larvae. Does this sound like it will work?
It should work. Keep in mind that the success of drainage depends a lot on what's put into the bin. Some food waste can result in frass with a consistency of heavy mud which will not drain very well at all. Commercial operations choose their feed stock carefully to avoid this.

To give credit where it's due I believe Brian Travis (Tarvus) was the first to come up with a double ended ramp design with his "Bug Barracks"(link). It had an open bottom which sat directly on the ground.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:48 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Can you give me an idea of which kind of food produces which kind of frass? My lechate collection bucket does develop a quarter inch of stuff. Finer than sand. It has to be rinsed out of the bucket. My worm bin never did this.

My thought is that the stuff at the very bottom won't matter much since I can't imagine it getting deeper than the lava rocks - just so things still drain.

Thanks for the quick advice! Susan.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:41 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Susan since you have a worm bin (and compost bin/pile?) to handle waste which contains a lot of water content I would feed the drier stuff to the BSFL bin. That way the amount of water going into the bin is kept to a minimum.

When compared to worms, BSFL release a lot of water in a hurry from what they're fed as they rip it apart.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:58 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]