View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Submersible BSF Bin - could this work? 

Post Submersible BSF Bin - could this work?
Hello,

I would like to present my design of a submersible BSF bin to you. Thoughts on this, wether it will work or not are highly appreciated.
The purpose of this design is to integrate the unit into an aquatic plant production system. The BSFL would be used to generate a liquid fertilizer that would continuously supply a pond with floating plants (Azolla and duckweeds, the fastest growing plants on the planet). The harvest of prepupae is secondary, the focus really lies on making use of the BSF to turn all kinds of organic waste into fertilizer and hence aquatic plant biomass.

To summarize:
System input: organic waste
System output: aquatic plant biomass and BSF prepupae

As you can see on the picture, the bottom part of the bin sits in water, so that the larvae don't escape (i hope). Once or twice a week, the bin is lowered into the water, so that all the substrate is fully submerged and then pulled back into the original position to encourage prepupae to leave the bin and flush out particulate castings.

The principle is similar to Jerry's design. To clarify, I don't want to upset anyone by taking the original design that has been developed through several years and claim to make it better. I just try to modify it with the purpose to be better able to integrate it into an aquatic setup.

Let me hear your thoughts,
Stefan

Attachments:
Submersible BSF bin.jpg
Submersible BSF bin.jpg [ 184.14 KiB | Viewed 985 times ]
Sat May 20, 2017 6:10 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Submersible BSF Bin - could this work?
Hi Stefan and welcome to our forum. Somewhere in the past posts on the forum there's a report of BSFL surviving in a flood and drain hydroponic system and, of course, there's Jerry's system as you noted. The leachate from the frass could vary in nutrient content depending on what you're feeding the BSFL. I guess some lab analysis or just experimentation would let you know what works.

BSFL are little escape artists so I would expect some larvae to escape into the pond. Perhaps you could include fish in your system and use the larvae as feed.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat May 20, 2017 7:20 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

BorealWormer wrote:
I guess some lab analysis or just experimentation would let you know what works.
I plan to check it for some nutrients, will report on that.

BorealWormer wrote:
BSFL are little escape artists so I would expect some larvae to escape into the pond. Perhaps you could include fish in your system and use the larvae as feed.
Yes, in the final setup, that's the plan. The question is how many will I lose by drowning due to the design. I guess I just have to try it, as probably no one ever did it like that...

Sun May 28, 2017 3:47 pm

So, I built one prototype. So far, it's a small system with a 10 l bucket that has holes in the bottom, filled to one third with charcoal and hanging in a bigger bucket filled with water. On top of the charcoal I put some substrate of another BSFL bin with coconut fiber and some larvae in it. The bucket with the water is connected to two trays with floating plants via tubes.
I'm trying to answer the following questions by doing this:

Does it make the whole process of flushing the system easier?
Do larvae drown by doing this?
Does the substrate get too wet this way and do the larvae escape too early?
What are the ratios of input, prepupae output and nutrient output and how much plant biomass can you grow with it?
or
How much surface area of floating plants is necassary to remove the majority of the nutrients per amount of daily input?

Attachments:
BSFbin4.jpg
BSFbin4.jpg [ 113.16 KiB | Viewed 515 times ]
BSFbin3.jpg
BSFbin3.jpg [ 83.1 KiB | Viewed 515 times ]
BSFbin2.jpg
BSFbin2.jpg [ 76.54 KiB | Viewed 515 times ]
BSFbin1.jpg
BSFbin1.jpg [ 61.12 KiB | Viewed 515 times ]
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]