View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 "Toropoid" New concept in BSF rearing units 

Post "Toropoid" New concept in BSF rearing units
Hi all,

This is my favorite BSF composting bin I designed, the design is neat, simple, easy, stackable, scalable, self or forced harvestable, clean, breathable walls, compatible with the larvae behavior. "Biological fuel cells" can be installed for heating in winter.

I need funds to manufacture large quantities, partners are welcome, also we can run a Kickstarter project with your help.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:29 pm
Profile Send private message
Site Admin

Post Re: "Toropoid" New concept in BSF rearing units
What about drainage?

How do the larvae self harvest?

I think it will be a little difficult to get people interested unless you show the unit in operation.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:25 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Jerry wrote:
What about drainage?

How do the larvae self harvest?

I think it will be a little difficult to get people interested unless you show the unit in operation.

Drainage is not necessary coz the wall is breathable, also the BSFL is not aquatic organism, we should change the idea that they can survive in a slurry media, it is false unless you can provide them some support material they can grab while feeding.

The units can be piled up vertically, the larvae will migrate trough the center and will drop in the same harvesting container. Being the wall breathable the unit can be hermetically sealed preventing escapes.

I do not have funds for manufacturing the unit, I can print a small version suitable for 1,000-2,000 larvae maximum. Also plastic factories are not ready for manufacturing breathable materials but some.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:59 pm
Site Admin

Have you looked into extra large printers? I suppose the materials would be rather expensive however...

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:09 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Hi Alfredo, thank you for sharing your design. I know that you must have worked on this for a while now.

When you say that it's breathable - I assume the construction is terracotta or some other unsealed ceramic that water can permate. That's a great idea.

I'm guessing it's quite large too, and if you're stacking them I am curious as to how you add or remove layers without undue effort.

For mass production were you thinking of something like this: [youtube]8c20KpvbkMI#t=84[/youtube]?

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:22 pm

Just printed out my second unit, I do not think that terra-cotta or ceramic could be a good material as the heavy gases like CO2 and SH2 must exit the container trough the wall.

This concept is patentable but not now, as it is posted in a public forum. I knew someone that patented several ways to supply oxygen to the larvae, but he missed out this point.

I offer to the possible partners the technology for inducing matings indoors, that is also mine.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:35 pm

New update probably it will be useful for the fans of the "compost tea".

Also can be used for screening different sizes of larvae from the waste, or pupae from prepupae.

It requires bunch of support material if 3D printed.

Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:21 pm

Quote:
Just printed out my second unit, I do not think that terra-cotta or ceramic could be a good material as the heavy gases like CO2 and SH2 must exit the container trough the wall.

My understanding of your design was that the top rim would sit flush with the bottom of the one on top, but that there would be a free flow of air in the central column. Under these circumstances, wouldn't the Co2 and SH2 simply move upwards with the heat and exit the stack like a chimmeny?

Are you 3D printing these with ABS plastic?

Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:45 am

Aussiemoo wrote:
Quote:

My understanding of your design was that the top rim would sit flush with the bottom of the one on top, but that there would be a free flow of air in the central column. Under these circumstances, wouldn't the Co2 and SH2 simply move upwards with the heat and exit the stack like a chimmeny?

Well I am not disclosing how the units will sit above the other yet, that is still a secret and smart solution. The CO2 and SH2 will move upwards if it is heated enough and its density decreases respect to the density of the air. But both gases will exit through the wall if breathable. Also the condensed water will be a big problem, so breathable wall is mandatory in my design.

Aussiemoo wrote:
Are you 3D printing these with ABS plastic?

Actually I am using both PLA/ABS, in the pictures, ABS

Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:43 am

im not sure where i saw this. but it looks like a stackable garden tower to me.

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]