View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 My DIY Indoor breeder setup 

Post My DIY Indoor breeder setup
After reading many of the posts, I decided to try and setup my own indoor breeder bin in my garage. I basically took the pupae from by Biopod bin that I have outside, and seeded the bin that I got at my Storables store. It took about two weeks for the first flies to emerge, and I would see about 2-3 new flies daily, until the population boom! One morning I looked in there and found over 100 flies! I first tried using a lower wattage bulb (75 watt) with no breeding success. I found a bulb at Home Depot and within 24 hours, the flies were mating like crazy! I tried the cardboard slices, but the BSF didn't really use them, but I took a long piece of cardboard and rolled it up. See the photos for the egg clusters. I think this one piece of rolled cardboard had about 5-6 clusters at each end. I've since taken it out of the breeder box and put it into my original Biopod for hatching.

Attachments:
File comment: The other side of the depository.
Frame-16-08-2015-10-39-11.jpg
Frame-16-08-2015-10-39-11.jpg [ 191.89 KiB | Viewed 7203 times ]
File comment: One side of my egg depository.
Frame-16-08-2015-10-16-50.jpg
Frame-16-08-2015-10-16-50.jpg [ 224.04 KiB | Viewed 7203 times ]
File comment: $3.00 light bulb from Home Depot.
Light bulb.jpg
Light bulb.jpg [ 80.5 KiB | Viewed 7203 times ]
File comment: My indoor setup
Breeder Box.jpg
Breeder Box.jpg [ 91.47 KiB | Viewed 7203 times ]
Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:06 am
Global Moderator

Post Re: My DIY Indoor breeder setup
Looks good Djeung and thanks for posting about your system. How long do have the light on daily? Does your bin receive any sunlight at all?

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:48 am
Profile WWW

I leave the light on when I go to work, and turn it off when I get home (probably 8 hours). The bin is in my garage, so it doesn't get any direct sunlight. I mist it twice daily and have poured a bit of water into the bin soaking the coir a bit. I think this helps the humidity levels. I took the eggs outside and put them in my Biopod, so I hope it's not too cold for them to hatch. I have not seen any data about the proper temperature for eggs to develop and hatch. Any advice would be welcomed. I'm located just 15 miles NE of Seattle, WA, and the days have been in the low 70's.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:18 am

Gaah life's not fair! Looks like you got a critical mass together and they started mating for you. Congratulations though :D

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:20 am
Global Moderator

Djeung wrote:
.... I have not seen any data about the proper temperature for eggs to develop and hatch. Any advice would be welcomed. I'm located just 15 miles NE of Seattle, WA, and the days have been in the low 70's.
I was going to refer you to the BioSystems Design Blog's "A Primer on Black Soldier Fly" (link) but just noticed that they don't have specifics on eggs. As a guess I would say they would be the same as your breeder setup. You might be better off to let the eggs hatch in your breeder bin then later move the larvae to your BioPod.

Here's a video by Tarvus where he mentions some temperatures in his incubator

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:38 am
Profile WWW

Aussiemoo,

It's all luck... And maybe the light bulb that I bought. it really did make a huge difference in their mating activity. I put a new egg "roll" into the breeder box and checked it yesterday. It also has about 10 clusters of eggs. As Borealwormer suggested, I'll let this batch hatch in the breeder box to see if it makes a difference in the hatch rate. I haven't seen any hatch in my Biopod yet.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]