View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Extra simple design 

Post Extra simple design
I used a red Ikea tub, screwed a ramp in, a bottle top, a plumbing thing for the maggot to crawl up, down and out. Then I had major larvae crawl off, so I tried many things, but mostly had a downstairs full of larvae til I came up with a super simple plan. I took off the collection tub that was on the side, put the lid on (to make sure it was a bit damp so the larvae could crawl up) and put the whole thing in a larger tub. It has, for 2 weeks and counting now, worked absolutely brilliantly! I wasn't sure for a while, because we kept finding a few for days, but I'm pretty sure now that those had escaped earlier and were just randomly appearing in the middle of the floor of the living room for fun :) No need for ramps or anything, they crawl up the sides, and out through the holes in the sides of the tub (tiny, tiny holes, I don't know how they all get out!!) or the holes I drilled in the lid. And it's only the mature ones crawling out. Although a fair few do stay and pupate in the tub, which is annoying because I'm having to catch the flies and put them in my fly tub. I'm trying to keep the tub a bit damper to discourage that so much.

Attachments:
File comment: Double tub
DSC_0818 (Mobile).JPG
DSC_0818 (Mobile).JPG [ 42.31 KiB | Viewed 3598 times ]
Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:55 am
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Extra simple design
Good stuff katali!
katali wrote:
... No need for ramps or anything, they crawl up the sides, and out through the holes in the sides of the tub (tiny, tiny holes, I don't know how they all get out!!) or the holes I drilled in the lid.
Yup if there's anything on the walls, including condensation, they'll climb vertical walls easily. They are little escape artists that can get through the tiniest openings.

Quote:
... And it's only the mature ones crawling out. Although a fair few do stay and pupate in the tub, which is annoying because I'm having to catch the flies and put them in my fly tub. I'm trying to keep the tub a bit damper to discourage that so much.
I've found that too. What does your fly tub look like?

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:22 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Post Re: Extra simple design
It looks like this!! (pretty awesome atm with many flies, but I need to do something ventilation wise I think, just so I can have the bulb on longer, or get another bulb so I can have one for light and heat and one just for light. Or one for light and one for heat or something).

Attachments:
File comment: Inside the tub
DSC_0824 (Mobile).JPG
DSC_0824 (Mobile).JPG [ 36.61 KiB | Viewed 3541 times ]
File comment: From the side, and for some reason the photo is on it's side!
DSC_0820 (Mobile).JPG
DSC_0820 (Mobile).JPG [ 50.18 KiB | Viewed 3541 times ]
Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:04 pm
Profile Send private message
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]