View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 DIY BSF Bin by Dr. Paul Olivier 
Global Moderator

Post DIY BSF Bin by Dr. Paul Olivier

Nice detailed plans for a DIY BSF Bin (PDF File) by Dr. Paul Olivier of Engineering, Separation and Recycling LLC (link). The plans specify steel plate but could be adapted for wood.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:24 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: DIY BSF Bin by Dr. Paul Olivier
I was told that they had some issues with larvae congregating in the corners and failing to exit the unit.

The other thing that strikes me about this unit is that it really isn't a project that the average person has the tools or the skills to complete.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Jerry wrote:
I was told that they had some issues with larvae congregating in the corners and failing to exit the unit.

The other thing that strikes me about this unit is that it really isn't a project that the average person has the tools or the skills to complete.

I independently came up with a similar concept, the "Bug Barn", which I built out of wood. There were indeed issues with the larvae congregating in the corners. The solution was to eliminate the corners and replace them with a second exit ramp which I did in my "Bug Barracks".
http://raisesoldierflies.com/?page_id=618

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk30 ... ?start=all

Last edited by BorealWormer on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Add photobucket link as raisesoldierflies.com is MIA

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:58 am
Site Admin

Brian, I think your bug barn is the best BSF design to date. One possible exception would be the original Biopod (slightly modified). I intended to start a thread about it here but perhaps you would rather do that.

I would also like to see Winston post his design there.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:33 pm
Global Moderator

Good discussion guys. I agree that Brian's 'Bug Barracks' is the best evolution of this concept. However, it might be possible to build from Dr. Olivier's original design by using wooden side walls, an open bottom (similar to the 'Barracks') and a curved end constructed from light metal (aluminum flashing) or plastic sheeting.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:38 pm

BorealWormer wrote:
Good discussion guys. I agree that Brian's 'Bug Barracks' is the best evolution of this concept. However, it might be possible to build from Dr. Olivier's original design by using wooden side walls, an open bottom (similar to the 'Barracks') and a curved end constructed from light metal (aluminum flashing) or plastic sheeting.

I like the metal idea. I had thought about that too. I think the lightweight plywood would work fine - except next time I would use two or more coats of spar varnish on it rather than the high gloss latex finish.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:36 pm

I was just looking at Dr. Olivier's BSF bin, and my first thought was that it looks like a refrigerator vegetable drawer.

Sue

Mon May 27, 2013 5:39 pm
Profile Send private message
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]