View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 BSF bucket composter v2.1 
Site Admin

Post BSF bucket composter v2.1
This is the design that I've intended as a starter or learning unit. My goal was to design a unit that could be constructed inexpensively, but would be relatively effective for culturing a small BSF colony. That way a person could find out if they like working with BSF or if BSF are present in their area without a lot of investment. The bucket composter as it's shown here was made using all new materials available in national chain stores. I did that to insure everyone could find materials regardless of their location or ability to salvage. This is the most expensive way to approach this design and as shown you would have to spend about $50 to build it. Of course most of the materials used can be found for free or at least much cheaper than full retail. The bucket and lid cost about $5 and the egg crate material I used on each side of the filter material add about $12. There are many other less expensive materials that could be substituted.

My goal is to build another version of this design using mostly found materials so that I can achieve the same function for much less money. If I do that I will post it here. Below is the link to my blog page that describes the building of the composter.

BSF Bucket Composter v2.1

Attachments:
diy unitv2.1- completed unit w.jpg
diy unitv2.1- completed unit w.jpg [ 414.63 KiB | Viewed 3136 times ]

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.
Sat May 07, 2011 12:20 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]