View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Brian Travis' "Bug Barracks" DIY BSF composter 

Post Spacing for BSF Bug Barracks Lid
BSFMAN, First and foremost, thank you for sharing your design for the Bug Barracks, I have almost completed mine and the spacing for the lid is about 2" one eighth tall. It looks to me that it is plenty tall enough for the sparos/bird to land on the edge and think that I have made this nifty unit to feed them grubs. Do you think that that is too tall? Can you tell me what height your lid spacing was built at and if you have had any challenges with birds getting in. My Bug Barracks has only a few modifications and I am excited to send pictures soon when I am done. I also notice a new look to the forum page and the mention of starter kits. I too am interested if that is something that you or someone on here is going to do. I would like to speed along the project. Thanks again for all. Can't wait to get BSFing!

Best Regards,
Brandon

Tue May 24, 2011 11:13 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Spacing for BSF Bug Barracks Lid
Brandon, I'm very glad that you're building Brian Travis' Bug Barracks. I think this BSF composter is one of the most efficient designs available. This isn't my design however Brian does post here and other places under the name "Tarvus" so he may respond to this thread. Brian can also be found at his own BSF blog http://raisesoldierflies.com/.

I've recently decided not to sell starter kits and I'm interested in finding reliable sources. Of course you can almost always get BSF larvae sold as "Phoenix worms" but they are somewhat expensive to use for our purposes. Phoenix worms are raised under special conditions to make them acceptable as feed for expensive exotic pets.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Tue May 24, 2011 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Brian Travis' "Bug Barracks" DIY BSF composter
This thread is for discussion about Brian Travis' Bug Barracks BSF composter. Brian has his own BSF site where plans are available: http://raisesoldierflies.com/?page_id=618

*Brian, if you choose to start a new thread here about your Bug Barracks I will merge this thread with yours.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Tue May 24, 2011 1:43 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Brian Travis' "Bug Barracks" DIY BSF composter
What the heck happend to Brians' site? I tried to go there following both the link on this page as well as the link on his posts. This one timed out and the one on his posts say he has been hacked and has araibic music and arabic wrighting scrolling up the page.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Global Moderator

It's been that way from at least the start of this week. I'm assuming he's working with his host to correct the situation but haven't heard from him directly.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:33 pm
Profile WWW

Any update on when raisesoldierflies.com might be back online? I was able to look at the text and photos of the bug barracks via google and google images caches (but not together on the same page).

I get the basic idea, but it seems like a good resource that should be available...

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:41 pm
Global Moderator

I exchanged emails with Brian earlier this week and it might be quite a while. He's currently "out of town and working".

Edit to add that until Brian can get his site fixed he has some photo's of the Bug Barracks at the following link:
http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk306/tarvus33991/Bug%20Barracks/?start=all

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:00 pm
Profile WWW

Any word on when his site will be back?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Global Moderator

I haven't heard anything. If you're looking for some information about his bins Brian also has a YouTube channel (link)

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:14 pm
Profile WWW

I was also wondering if there has been any recent activity from Brian anywhere? I am getting ready to build a bug barracks of my own and his input would be extremely valuable. We have a greenhouse so I am hoping to establish a population here in Colorado to keep year round. Does anybody have more info about his design anywhere? Im just going to go off the pictures i have seen and try to figure the rest out unless the info from his site that was ruined pops up again.

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:25 pm
Global Moderator

biobehaviorist wrote:
I was also wondering if there has been any recent activity from Brian anywhere?
He has added some aquaponics videos to his YouTube channel recently (link)

Quote:
I am getting ready to build a bug barracks of my own and his input would be extremely valuable.
You could try contacting Brian by email or Private Message through his forum profile (link)

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Global Moderator

Brian has posted a new video updating what he's been up to.

Edit to add that Brian also has posted about this here.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Global Moderator

A variation of the 'Bug Barracks' by Marinos at http://www.blacksoldierflyfarming.com This a new site from Australia which "is dedicated to learning and teaching about black soldier fly farming."

Quote:
Made from 12mm Plywood, this design was inspired by the 'Bug Barracks' by Tarvus. The Filterbug I believe has a filter system that cant fail, hence the name.
(link)

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]