View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Top Soil! 

Post Top Soil!
Is it ok to use top soil on the bottom of a compost bin for drainage and to keep it moist I was thinking about puting about 2-3 inches on the bottom of mine, what do ya'll think?

Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Post Re: Top Soil!
Hi papaschickens, - I assume you are operating a bin system that has a floor & not set directly on the ground. If this is the case look for something else that doesn't compact quickly.

Top soil is not generic; it can have different pore sizes. The porosity can allow water percolation anywhere from 17 cm/hr. to 69 cm/hr.; which means creating a muck is possible, especially since there will be constant weight pressing down from the food layer.

Aside from the fact that different compositions of a saturated soil will compact & then itself drain slowly that waterlogged soil will not
be oxygen exchanging. Top soil has many microbes & they are major "exhalers" of CO2; which in anything with non-porous sides will rise through where the larvae (& their natural symboiotic microbes) are trying to do their thing .

Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:44 pm

Should I just put vegi and fruit scraps and nothing else? Or could I put a layer of potting soil instead of top soil?

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:16 pm
Global Moderator

You mentioned in another post that you are using a "35 gallon plastic tub" for a bin. What do you have for a drainage system? With all the moisture BSFL release from food as they shred it I think if you use soil you're going to end up with mud.

Bulking Material(link) might be a better choice as they'll allow drainage.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:35 pm
Profile WWW

I have a smaller flat bin inside that is at a 30° slant with drain holes drilled in the bottom and a collection hole cut on the upper part to catch the mature larva into a collection bucket. Would straw or hay be a good bulking material?

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:45 pm
Site Admin

I've wondered about straw and hay as a bulking material, but haven't tried it. They might have some advantage if they're associated with beneficial strains of bacteria.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]