View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Design advice wanted 

Post Design advice wanted
My wife and I have a small diversified farm in the Hudson Valley of NY. We currently raise goats, chickens, ducks and geese. I would like to add BSF to the mix this summer. I would like a system larger than a tote because we have access to food waste and we would like to supplement the diet for over 100 laying hens. So far I like the design from Northwest Redworms and from gardenpool. We would like any feedback people have about these designs or any other ideas folks want to share. We are on Facebook at Glenerie Farm.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Design advice wanted
Have a look at the "Bug Barracks" DIY BSF composter by Brian Travis (link) for a good larger DIY design.

There have been BSF populations reported in NY state so you may also want to see the Attracting black soldier flies-the basics (link) topic.

We always welcome more additions to our Black Soldier Fly Mapping Project (link). If you find you do have a wild population of BSF see the 'Range and Identification' section (link) for instructions.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:27 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]