View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Raising BSF indoors 

Post Raising BSF indoors
Hey guys, after a week of fact-finding and discovering scarce traces of BsF larvae in my backyard, i've decided to construct an aviary for BSF. We're just into the month of May and its been pretty dry which i believe affected wild bsf population around here.

I've watched some videos on youtube about people raising BSF all-year-round this way, therefore it shouldn't be too hard in tropical Malaysia. I wanna setup someting like a butterfly aviary but just wondering, just how big does the cage needed to be? can anyone pls recommend a minimum dimension?

I know BsF need moisture, sunlight and some plants to sit around and containers filled with sweet smelling rotten fruit to lay their eggs.

i've got this spot here,
planning to move away all the plants and use tapes, staplers and fishing wire to make it insect proof for raising BSF and nothing else. If i dont do a closed environment, im only going to raise other stuff

Tue May 12, 2015 9:02 am
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Raising BSF indoors
Izhizm wrote:
... I wanna setup someting like a butterfly aviary but just wondering, just how big does the cage needed to be? can anyone pls recommend a minimum dimension?
It can be pretty small. See the Small Scale Indoor Breeding topic (link) for info.

Quote:
I know BsF need moisture, sunlight and some plants to sit around and containers filled with sweet smelling rotten fruit to lay their eggs.
Plants are not really necessary as the flies will use the walls of your enclosure to rest on.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue May 12, 2015 10:44 am
Profile Send private message WWW

What I'm interested in is how the BSF survives the winter. Are they like house flies that hibernate as adults or are they like the many other species of insects where the eggs survive the winter in a cluster and hatch in the spring?

Obviously keeping them indoors like you're experimenting with, will enable them to continue all winter long just as they do in the summer.

Tue May 12, 2015 4:49 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

I haven't seen any scientific papers on this but it's generally thought that they survive the winter as larvae by getting below the frost line or in decomposing vegetation which generates some heat.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue May 12, 2015 5:08 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]