View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Troubleshooting 

Post Re: Troubleshooting
Oh shoooot!!! There are a lot of them, I will set to and instigate a manual termination program. Thank you very much Aussiemoo.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:32 am
Profile Send private message

Samaki wrote:
I have 100 adults in the hatchery at present but am not witnessing any matings ..

You live on the Equator, and you have a breeding enclosure!! What's wrong with wild flies and the great outdoors?

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:52 am

Good question PeteB, my reasoning is that as the farm grows avocados and pineapples I am concerned that populations of wild flies will fluctuate as inevitably pesticides (although approved etc) are in use. Secondly I am under the impression that the more controlled the environment the more likely I will achieve optimum production.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:22 am

Samaki, whatever else you do, I suggest this:-
Set up a 50 litre bin with some overripe pineapple, pawpaw, banana, and kitchen scraps - keep it soggy.
Add some cardboard egg traps and let nature take its course.
My free range flies are waay more productive ;)

Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:01 pm

Many thanks PeteB, I understand where your coming from, unfortunately my mandate is to generate large quantities of BSFL using farm waste which in this case is avocado.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:36 am

Samaki you misunderstand Pete - he is suggesting a method for you to attract wild females to lay eggs that you can use in your larger operation.

By all means try everything that works, but the 'bait bin' approach certainly works when it comes to attracting egg laying.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:07 am

Thank you Aussiemoo and my apologies PeteB, there are other manifestations of living on the equator, it is said some suffer from slow thought processes :oops: This is a great idea I will get on to it pronto.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:21 am

Post Re: BSF egg traps made easy
Attachment:
BSF Egg trap 2.jpg
BSF Egg trap 2.jpg [ 92.13 KiB | Viewed 2468 times ]
Hi Everyone, especially PeteB and Aussiemoo,
Since my last post I developed the egg trap in the attached pics. The bait is a mix of bananas, pawpaws, mangoes, pineapples and watermelon. Pic 1 shows the location in the middle of old heaps of reject avos which are full of BSF pre-pupae. Pic 2 shows rain and baboon proofing. Pic 3 shows the well fermented and fragrant bait with card board traps around the bin.
So far I have had only 3 clusters of eggs.
Am I wrong to have expected more?
I have sat and watched whenever possible and there is quite a lot of interest from some very wary, fast flying BSF.
As of today I have put the trap in full sun as I'm thinking it may be too cool in the shade of the tree.
Is it possible the composting avos are more appealing?
I look forward to your opinions.

Attachments:
BSF Egg trap 1.jpg
BSF Egg trap 1.jpg [ 104.7 KiB | Viewed 2468 times ]
BSF Egg trap 3.jpg
BSF Egg trap 3.jpg [ 94.65 KiB | Viewed 2468 times ]
Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:37 am

Samaki, now you've got me stumped. Using a setup similar to yours, I can expect to get 10-20 clusters a day.
I was wondering if all that metal is getting too hot (My bins are plastic). You want it to be around 30-40 deg C. In full sun, that iron roof will become an oven.
Mangos and pawpaws should be just as good, or even better than avos - the flies are really not fussy.
I can only suggest you make 3-4 of those traps, and put them in different places around the yard.
Thank heavens we don't have baboons; monkeys do more than enough damage. :D
P.S. Do you use insecticides around the farm?

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:43 am

Good Morning PeteB,
Thank you for your response.
Currently the ambient temperature does not exceed 25c, so I thought that being in the shade would be discouragingly cool. I have now placed it where it will get morning to early afternoon sun. I was looking at the heaps of avos and decided that the dried out skins where the BSF are laying must get really hot out in the full sun.
Yes, we do use insecticide on the avocadoes but infrequently and only when there is a serious burden, we have not sprayed this area for months.
I had hoped that this location would be ideal as adults would be hatching from the heaps of composting avos and the trees immediately around are forestry and never sprayed.
I shall get on and make up more traps which will give me the ability to try different sites.
I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon, meanwhile, thank you.

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:09 am

The BSF are all going for the reject avos, preferring them to the traps. They are probably laying loads of eggs on the sun dried avo skin.

Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi Billy, yes I agree. I have witnessed them doing just that. I have also tried searching for clusters amongst the skins, with little reward for my effort. I am now puzzling how best to make my bait more appealing or do I abandon the area and put it elsewhere? I will make up more traps and put them in various other locations and see what I get.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:44 am

Billy wrote:
The BSF are all going for the reject avos, preferring them to the traps. They are probably laying loads of eggs on the sun dried avo skin.

That makes perfect sense: link :)

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:02 am

Rove beetles can be fierce. I found one in my bin. I don't know if it was there to eat or lay eggs. I sometimes see them around the trays of rabbit manure. It is kind of disturbing how confident they are. There are some youtube vids of school kids saying they've been bitten by them.

A week later, I found a rove beetle in my kitchen, so I caught it. I put in with it a rotten apple core from my dubia bin that was covered with fruit fly larvae. It immediately started eating fruit fly larvae so I am certain they could be a threat to hatchling BSFL. However, a day later and I still had plenty of FFL on the apple. It must have gotten full. So if there are a handful of rove beetles eating BSFL I don't even think I would notice. I am wondering now if they would be helpful in the dubia bin where fruit flies are becoming a big problem? I don't know if they will attack dubias or not.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Update on rove beetle; after a few days it ate ALL of the FFL and it looks like it ate some spoiled apple core as well. If it is that good at eliminating FFL, I think its worth putting in with the dubias. I think I would want them to stay out of the BSFL bin. Way too aggressive. I think the roaches can escape if the critter is full on FFL. I've found surprisingly little info on them so far. Feel free to move this post if warranted.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2