View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Need input on outdoor sheltered breeding 

Post Need input on outdoor sheltered breeding
We live in a near-downtown neighborhood of Seattle. Temps are mild.
We had to get rid of our chickens due to rats, flies, raccoons and odors ( the coop and run were adjacent to our house).
Now I have a chicken house that I would like to raise BSFL. The coop is 4'X4' and 6 feet tall. It has a full windowed door (facing west) and near-clear corrugated fiberglass roof. It is on the south side of the house, but the trees do not allow full sun exposure.
What problems do you see?
1. Sterilize after chickens?
2. Can I hang plastic to keep the space humid,warm, and keep larva inside?
3. Would I need to provide ventilation other than "air leaks"?
4. other issues?
Thanks. --LL

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:33 am
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Need input on outdoor sheltered breeding
Are you planning to heat the coop? I don't know that you get enough consistent sunshine over the winter to keep things warm enough.

See the BioSystems Design Blog's "A Primer on Black Soldier Fly" (link) for the conditions required.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:38 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Post Re: Need input on outdoor sheltered breeding
Hi, I would ask you, do you plan to just raise the larvae or are you planning to make the breeding?
For the first I would say any place is perfect, if it's dark enough and has some in/out "door" for the flies.
For the second it would be much more complicate, and as BorealWormer says, you would need to warm it up and have lots of sun for the flies.

I personally decided to let nature do the breeding after a very frustrating season without eggs that took me to start over from scratch, so now, I just capture the hatches over my kitchen's waste compost and put them into my (still small) BSFL bin. Hope the population will grow larger now the warm season is about to begin. They don't cease to amaze me :D

Sterilize? I guess, unless you suspect some disease that could affect your own health, the larvae will happily eat their poop :lol:

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:51 pm
Profile Send private message
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]