View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 success indoor breeding 

Post success indoor breeding
just want to happily share about our indoor breeding on wild caught larvaes.
Its been a week since i saw a copulation on our emergency netting setup and we have our 2nd generations.. :D

we used mosquito netting instead of bin after we noticed that most emerge adult last only for 4 days maybe due to heat inside the bin. unlike on netting which they last for 10days to 2weeks with 2x water spray a day.

our setup is:
1 hour direct sunlight from east facing facing window.
2 hours 28w flourecent tube in the evening
1 hour $3 120w par38 incandescent. tilted at 30 angle. 30 min intervals in the evening
2x water spray aday.
temp: 30-35c(86f-95f)
humidity: 40-65%
feed: dog food+bokashi, a tsp of brownsugar and 1/8 cup of water

Observation:
we used the incandescent to raised temp of the rearing bin upto 107f to 109f for 3 days jump start it and to combat fruit flies/mites.. we added some calcium carbonate to the substrate to increase the ph abit.
everytime the larvaes reach higher temp from infrared of incandescent. we notice that they increased in feeding and aday or 2 days after they usually molt their skin.
we noticed that after the addition of the incandescent most adults actively hovered and fly 1 inch away under the light for 4-6 sec.

conclusion:
we think the adults and larvae gets their energy from infrared heat. to burn their stored energy from water and feed.
maybe a reflected light source with a bit of heat is a good addition. thats why quarts halogen induced successful mating from test by others(Zhang).

we may revert back to bin settings after the 2nd larvaes pupate. since were afraid that the netting maybe infested by rats. since we observe one trying to get in. :shock:

here are some pictures.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:18 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: success indoor breeding
Thanks for the info and photos. What size is your indoor bin?

Where additional heating is required I think it's smart to do it, at least partially, with your lighting. I'm only able to get my bin in sunlight for a few hours daily but it does make quite a bit of difference in the activity of the flies. That is still after the sunlight passes through a double pane window, netting and the none to clean walls of my translucent plastic bin.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:23 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

BorealWormer wrote:
Thanks for the info and photos. What size is your indoor bin?
Where additional heating is required I think it's smart to do it, at least partially, with your lighting.

Our Nettings Size is: 18x32x24" in height
We didn't add additional heating since we are from tropicals.
our ambient temp is 32-36 during the day. and 28-30 during the night.
Your setup needs extra heat. but our clear Bin setup have excess heat unfortunately.(thats why we used netting instead)
that's has been a problem for us using clear bin under the sun. since it reaches 45*c inside under the sun.
the flies are exhausted being too active and flying/bumping around. seems all they wanted is get out of the clear bin.
we just used the par38 incandescent in the netting during the night to increase the temp of the rearing tub for and hour which we observe increased larvae feeding & To combat(fruitfies/mites at the start) since they can get thru the netting.

Thank your Mike for your data posted.
I was looking on your informative data on June 2013
Bin Maximum TEMP: 34.1°C
Tub Temperature: max=31.8°C min=21.9°C
Room Temperature Min: 20.1°C
I assume this after the bin has been in sunlight based on your data.
and July 2013
Bin Maximum TEMP: 37.4°C
Tub Temperature: max=33.9°C min=22.2°C
Room Temperature: 18.2°C
The larvae chowing down on some bread in the rearing tub.
a month after june 2013 which increased the temps of your bin&tub..
my conclusion is that you had your mating & cluster on june 2013 Because of adequate temps and sunlight.

BorealWormer wrote:
I'm only able to get my bin in sunlight for a few hours daily but it does make quite a bit of difference in the activity of the flies. That is still after the sunlight passes through a double pane window, netting and the none to clean walls of my translucent plastic bin.

Your right about the sunlight difference. which provide both lux & radiant heat. specially heat that cfl cannot provide on cool climates. since bsf are Diurnal (active mating during the day) & are exothermic (cold-blooded) like reptiles, so they don’t waste energy staying warm.
instead they get their energy from sunlight's radiant heat to process activities..

Maybe thats what i observe That the Flies are Basking under the par38 incandescent. just like reptiles do. but no mating since had low adult counts. and maybe low lumens output.
i observe the mating at 9am with 32-34*c temp in the sun. i think they dont need uvb since its being filtered out based on your setup. and maybe thats why others had success with led's. havent tried led's yet.
my assumptions it that They only need visible lux & radiant heat

i have been thinkering about a good light source which provide both lux+radiant heat.
maybe metal halides. (but costly to setup & run). still thinking of an alternative

Thanks Mike for sharing your setup and data.
We may Remove Uvb from the list on the 2nd generation test and save us a fortune.
Godbless brother..

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:19 pm
Global Moderator

The maximum temperatures noted for my bin did occur when the bin was in sunlight and also when the room temperature is high (peaks above 30C sometimes in the summer). The rearing tub temperatures generally follow this pattern too although the feed also has a direct effect.

A high sugar content feed like dehydrated banana chips will cause the rearing tub temperature to spike several degrees C.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:02 pm

thanks Mike you have a nice aurdinio logger. and ilove your wombin idea aswell as hobby hydroponics idea.
i would also love to try (wormtea)vermiponics also someday..

seems bins are recommended on non-tropicals to conserve heat. unlike on tropicals which room temps reaches 37*c i noticed that they become Normaly active at 30-37*c but once it reaches 40*c they sit to conserve. and >40*c they bump around inside trying to escape the bin.. ill try bin once again on november when room temp here are colder.

During shortd-days (ber)months upto january. do you observe mating on just afticial light if temps recheas above(>30*c)?

i love your cfl+hotwater energy conserving setup.

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:30 am
Global Moderator

ericjohn wrote:
During shortd-days (ber)months upto january. do you observe mating on just afticial light if temps reaches above(>30*c)?
Without checking my daily logs it's hard to say but there's a two month period each winter where the bin doesn't receive any direct sunlight and artificial lighting is used every day. I don't recall any population crashes during/after these periods so I'm assuming they do continue mating.

Quote:
... i love your cfl+hotwater energy conserving setup
The hotwater aspect was meant to be a temporary fix that became permanent. Certainly labor intensive and not practical for most folks but for me it's just part of my daily routine now.

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:41 pm

Hey, i want to get in the game of indoor breeding. I saw you discard the idea of UV-B light, i was wondering if you ever tested for it? I thought that combining UV-A with UV-B with LED lighting + heat would be a good way of simulating the sun's role in the mating. I use a 15W CFL reptile 'uv-b' light and they seem to enjoy gather around it, I can't tell if its because of the UV light or because of the warmth or both.

The lamps sold by reptiles pet stores do not emit only UV-B radiation, they emit a wide spectrum and hence are less efficient at providing UV. Since insects dont see the same rainbow of colors we do, I thought it would be a good idea to use specialized UV-A&B emitting mercury vapor lamps for my gen 2 set up, and LED lights to find their favorite spectrum of light and to increase the lux in the system and hopefully set up a good mood for good times.. I belive this set up will have lower power consumption than halogen lights.

BW, I saw you had success rearing over the Canadian winter, wondering if you can share your experience? Was it 100% artificial?

I would appreciate your and ericjhon's thoughts on the matter,
Regards!

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:32 pm
Global Moderator

Rickydilia wrote:
... BW, I saw you had success rearing over the Canadian winter, wondering if you can share your experience? Was it 100% artificial?
I've kept a small colony going from BSFL purchased in 2011. In the winter there is some ambient light from an east facing window but no direct sunlight. The CFL's are used for a couple of hours daily on those days when there is no direct sunlight on the bin.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]