View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 White phase crawl out? 

Post White phase crawl out?
Been out of the BSF bin hobby for a while, and getting back into it now. Have my colony up and running, with lots of grubs of various ages, new eggs and wild BSF around the bin.

Have noticed a distinct shift in the makeup of the grubs crawling out and ending up in my collection bins - once they were all black/dark brown and now most of them are white/yellow colour. Granted, the colony is growing and there are a lot more now than previously. The white grubs appear to be full size/same size as the black ones.

Summer is in full swing, lots of rain, and although the bin is in the shade, it still gets pretty hot.

I've done a little reading and it seems like heat, humidity and food competition may all be factors in early crawlout, but I want to know if the white phase ones are still immature, or mature and just not turned black? I read somewhere that once they get to a certain size they just stop eating and live off their fat reserves....true?

Should I just be tipping them back into the bin and letting them mature further, or put them somewhere to start pupating.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, thanks in advance for any info!

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:49 pm
Profile Send private message

Post Re: White phase crawl out?
A white crawl-off usually means the bin is overcrowded, or that the substrate is too wet.
Try setting up a new bin and transfer half your grubs into it; they will continue eating for another few days.
The white crawl-off will shed their skins and turn brown after a week or so, but one wonders if they've reached their full potential.
As you say, they are probably burning up their fat reserves.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:22 am

Ok cool. I actually set up a brand new bin next to it this morning (trying to help my dad get into the hobby) and will split the colony tomorrow, and let you know how things develop!

Never knew they shed skins before turning black - had seen shed skins a few times in the bin, but had assumed they were from ones that had died and been eaten

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:03 pm
Global Moderator

PeterM wrote:
... Never knew they shed skins before turning black - had seen shed skins a few times in the bin, but had assumed they were from ones that had died and been eaten
Actually the larvae shed their skins six times:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/liv ... y.htm#desc
"Larvae pass through six instars and require approximately 14 days to complete development (Hall and Gerhardt 2002)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instar

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]