View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 about bokashi and BSF 

Post about bokashi and BSF
Seems like some folks are tinkering with bokashi and BSF. I have been an avid bokashi composter for many years. When I first started researching composting, I was really turned off by all the "rules": mixing to keep things aerobic; no meat/dairy/whatever other restrictions; balance carbon:nitrogen ratios. And after all that, you're lucky to end up with 10% of what you started with. Then I encountered bokashi, in particular bokashi combined with red wiggler bin - now this was something I could deal with! No need to mix (lactic acid prefer things anaerobic), no restrictions (lactic acid bacteria don't give a rat's ass what's in there), no need to think about carbon:nitrogen ratios. And you get more like 75% of what you put in back out as good worm compost.

My current composting system is: small(ish) bin in my kitchen next to the garbage, all food waste including plate scrapings go into this bin. Every couple of weeks it gets dumped into a 5gal bokashi pail (I make my own bran) a fistful of bran, dump the bin into the pail, press it down with a potato masher (dedicated to the task), another layer of bran, that's it. The pail itself has small holes drilled in the bottom, and sits directly on the ground outside. Draining is important in bokashi, to keep the anaerobic smell down.

But I have to say I was surprised to see that people are using bokashi material to attract BSF! Because bokashi is anaerobic, and the BSFL like/need aerobic conditions, I'm surprised that the smell of bokashi attracts the BSF. The system itself works really well but the smell is horrid.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:00 am
Profile Send private message

Post Re: about bokashi and BSF
The thing with BSF is that the breeding phase is really difficult and the composting phase is really easy. Ideally each season you would order some fly eggs online, hatch them in your compost bin and then have them consume all of your accumulated food waste for the month - reaping the larvae as a reward.

Attracting BSF initially is a challenge, but eventually they will be attracted by the smell of 'conspecifics' - aka their own babies and lay eggs neaby even without a human-sensitive odor.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:04 am
Profile Send private message
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]