View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Small Scale Indoor Breeding 
Global Moderator

Post Re: Small Scale Indoor Breeding
lantohery I can't think of anything else to suggest except to keep misting daily for the flies to drink. Are you finding dead flies in the bucket? I found they would drown in trays of still water.

Do you see different sizes of flies? The females are typically larger and it may be that only one sex has eclosed so far.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:46 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Thank you
I put a screen mesh on the top of the bucket so bsf can't go inside.
Yes there are two different size
I will put more holes, I will mist it and We will wait and see

Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:54 pm
Profile Send private message

Hi Boreal, Hi Peter,
This morning I mist the wall, drill some holes then I wait but nothing happens, no activity
so i decided to let it have direct sunlight through my windows and five minutes later, begin some activities and right after one couple is matting!
Then i decided to stop sunlight and all activities had stopped.
At noon I get it out to let the sunlight again and 5 minutes later one another couple is matting.
My conclusion is that my lighting is not good!
How do you think?
Attachment:
DSC05503.JPG
DSC05503.JPG [ 142.56 KiB | Viewed 6126 times ]

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:01 am
Global Moderator

lantohery that's interesting. I notice you have a 'window' between the lights and the bin. I wonder if that 'window' is blocking UV light? Some plastics have a coating to block UV light.

Can you arrange for the bin to be in the sunlight while protecting it from overheating (possibly with air circulation)?

Now that they're mating don't be surprised if the gravid females do not use the egg traps. There are likely many nooks and crannies in your bin that they can use instead.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:16 am

That is my big problem with the direct sunlight, the temprature is raising and if there is too much air circulation, the RH drop!!! Here it is winter and the air is very dry.
As the sun goes down now i try to use 250 watt quartz iodine lamp and we wait

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:55 am

Boreal,
Cant i let the lights turned on 24/24?

Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:14 pm
Global Moderator

I'm not sure about 24/7. I try to use the lights as little as possible and have success with 3 to 4 hours of direct sunlight or a couple of hours with lights. The rest of the day my bin receives indirect daylight but it is semi-transparent so more light would be getting in.

Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:40 pm

My flies are always more active in direct sunlight, even though I have some fairly bright lights and lots of reflectors. I'm worried that if I add more lighting then it will get too hot inside the enclosure, and that the flies will fry themselves on the lights.

Lantohery's testimony is fairly convincing though - Lantohery what was your RH and temperature when mating occurred? Had you provided them with water droplets to drink at that stage?

I really don't want to add more wattage, but it looks like it's inevitable at this stage...

Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:32 am
Global Moderator

Aussiemoo wrote:
My flies are always more active in direct sunlight, even though I have some fairly bright lights and lots of reflectors....
I see this too even though the sunlight has to pass through double panes of glass and the translucent wall of the bin.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:25 am

Hi everyone,
I'm beginner so i don't have enough experiences but everyone has to be careful i think; last year I had good temperature but no humidity controller even there was sunlight i had no matting flies (note that here the RH can reach 28%).
This year i have temp and humidity controller so my temperature varies between 26-28°C without sunlight and 26-35°C with sunlight. My RH varies between 65 and 70%. indoor and 40 and 70% outdoor.
At these conditions :(RH More than 50%)
Sunlight has a magic effect on BSF!!! I can't believe it, This morning matting occured 55 seconds after sunlight the temp was 26.5°C and the RH 60%. I noted that the last matting occured at 34°C and the RH more than 50% I can't precise the RH.
However, I noted that activity decreases one hour later.
Now I wonder if they will want to lay in my egg trap. Do you really think that cofee has someting to do with?

Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:13 pm
Global Moderator

lantohery wrote:
...Now I wonder if they will want to lay in my egg trap. Do you really think that coffee has something to do with?
Hope you see some eggs soon and yes they do seem to really like used coffee grounds.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm glad to tell you that my first cluster occurs on Jul 11 and now some larvae are about 7 mm long. It is magic. Thanks for the advices!
Attachment:
olitra.JPG
olitra.JPG [ 125.74 KiB | Viewed 5954 times ]

Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Félicitations!

So you've essentially had success with high humidity and direct sunlight for mating - or were there more than two egg clusters?

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Thank you,
From 102 flies i got 15 clusters.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:09 am
Global Moderator

That's great lantohery :) Now on with the second generation.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:02 am

I've just had my first adults eclose in my breeding enclosure (seen here: http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7217#p7217)

I know they will probably find each other and mate just fine on the screens and whatnot, but since I have these wire perches that sortof happened accidentally as I was building the thing - I was wondering if it might be a good idea to somehow attach some larger flat surfaces to them, particularly just beneath the light. I've got some pieces of white plastic left over from cutting up the lids, I thought maybe I'd glue some "leaves" to go on the branches... give them a nice bright place where they'll encounter each other and have room to do their thing.

Always eager to spur things along ... think it's worth it?

One of the videos linked in the Buzz subforum showed a commercial breeding facility that actually plays Barry White for the brood stock... something about good vibrations. So, I don't feel too weird about this idea.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:23 pm
Global Moderator

Platforms at varying distances below the light might allow the flies to select the light intensity/temperature they prefer. Did you ever post the specifications of the light? lumens and color temperature?

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:39 am

I didn't. It was the highest K-rated bulb I could find at Lowe's .. I think it was around 5500. Lumens are not stellar, either - but I do get some direct sun on the enclosure in mid to late afternoon.

I've ordered this bulb (https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/6052/FC65-S65.html) as an upgrade... hopefully I'll still have some flies when it gets here.

And I think I will try to add some platforms. They seem to like to hang out on the larvae barrier (the white plastic bin lid with the middle cut out)

Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:47 pm

Installed the perches - they seem to love them. Shortly after getting them in, I see they definitely aren't holding back romance. I've probably missed quite a few couplings, judging by the increased interest in the bait bucket of late.

P.S. Any egg clusters you may be seeing in there are probably panko bread crumbs... which were an egregious mistake on my part.

Attachments:
File comment: A little montage of what's going on in the breeding enclosure.
ItsHappening.jpg
ItsHappening.jpg [ 255.32 KiB | Viewed 5794 times ]
Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:08 pm
Global Moderator

Great stuff jf371. Love the photos.

Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next