View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Small Scale Indoor Breeding 

Post Re: Small Scale Indoor Breeding
Pete I don't really know to be honest. I bought some GSF and BSF off Marinos in Sydney, threw them into my garden and then 4 days later found a thriving colony of big fat grubs in a bait bin. To me this indicates that there were already wild BSF in my neighborhood, but I may have since muddied the waters with my mixed population. Marinos likely got his wild however, and the only 'domesticated' BSF would be those raised for multiple years in captivity in China and the US.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:39 am
Profile Send private message

Yes, Marinos' grubs are most certainly from the wild in Sydney.
Last year I sold some grubs to Lantohery in Madagascar. He tried again this year, but with grubs he bought in France.
Without me asking, he mentioned that my flies were noticibly more active and lively. Makes me curious ......
BTW, I've got no experience with 'tame' ones.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:19 am
Global Moderator

Discussion related to the characteristics of different strains/population of BSF including selective breeding should go in the Variation In Different BSF Strains / Selective Breeding topic (link)

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:29 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

jf371 wrote:
From my (admittedly casual) observation, I have concluded that adult BSF could not care a great deal less about honey or cut apples... ;)

Despite that it seemed to attract 0 attention, I left that upturned bottlecap stuck to one of the "limbs" inside my breeding enclosure. There was a brownish residue in the bottom from the diluted/dried honey. One day recently I saw that a couple flies seemed to be checking it out. I re-hydrated the residue, and the next day it was gone - mopped clean.

So, I decided to experiment some more. I got a tiny plastic bottle and made a concoction of honey, agave syrup, and water.

They've polished off about 4 bottlecaps full now. I can't be sure if it's certain individuals, or just the odd "hungry" fly stumbling upon it, but it definitely seems deliberate - they get plenty of plain water spritzing, so it's not as though they are just desperate for moisture. Maybe it's the time of year that triggers this behavior? Just a guess.

I have had a couple flies get trapped in it, but not enough to be alarmed about. I just helped them out.

Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:32 pm

I have studied all of your posts and have my indoor breeding enclosure finally built. I am in Wisconsin and must deal with the harsh winters. I built a breeding enclosure from an old TV Stand and wired in lighting, heating and added screen.
(I tried to upload photos but my files are too large.)

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:02 pm
Global Moderator

DebcWis welcome to our forum :) If you'd like you can introduce yourself here (link).

See the How To Add Videos and Pictures To Your Posts(link) topics for tips on how to reduce the size of your photos and how to post them.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:08 pm

Thank you! I think I managed to resize my photo appropriately. I was surprised to see that there are no BSF groups on Facebook. Am I just not seeing them?

Attachment:
File comment: Here is my photo of my re-purposed breeder enclosure.
BSF Breeder.jpg
BSF Breeder.jpg [ 46.29 KiB | Viewed 8056 times ]

Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:05 pm
Global Moderator

Thanks DebcWis. Can you post some details about the lights and the dimensions of your bin?

Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Ok. My whole set up is 50 inches tall by 20 inches deep by 30 inches wide. My grub bin is a rubbermaid container approximately 18"Lx16"Hx14"W. It sits in the bottom cubby with a heated seed mat under it. I put no lid on it. Inside my grub bin, I put food scraps. The whole unit is in my kitchen and there is no smell. I have pine animal bedding in the grub bin to control moisture. I have a small bin for self regulating grubs velcro attached to the inside of the bin. I move them into a deli cup with coconut coir when they are ready to pupate and place the pupae in the top fly breeding section of the unit which is screened in. I have hung a live broad-leaf plant for lekking and for aesthetics (in case my mother-in-law comes over ;) ). I have the back of the unit against my kitchen south facing window for supplemental light and I wired 3 compact florescent daylight bulbs into the enclosure. Bulbs are 23 watts each and total 4800 lumens. I took a guess on the bulbs so when my flies eclose, I will have to wait and see how it goes. I will post my progress as I go.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:22 pm
Global Moderator

DebcWis wrote:
... I have the back of the unit against my kitchen south facing window for supplemental light and I wired 3 compact florescent daylight bulbs into the enclosure. Bulbs are 23 watts each and total 4800 lumens. I took a guess on the bulbs so when my flies eclose, I will have to wait and see how it goes. I will post my progress as I go.
Good idea to take advantage of the window for sunlight. One more question about the lights - do you know what their color temperature is? It will be shown as a number like 5000K or shown as daylight or softwhite.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:44 pm

DebcWis,

There are a few BSFL groups on Facebook. Try typing the keyword BSFL or Black Soldier Fly. I belong to a closed group called BSF Farming that i'm sure you could join.
PM me if you can and I can point you in the right direction.

-Daniel

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:33 am

Just got some flies any advice to increase breeding I have them in a dark black bin. With moderate humidity and paper bedding.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:04 am
Global Moderator

Review the various lightning setups described in this thread. A transparent bin would be better for lighting necessary for the flies to mate.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:36 am

What if I put them in one of those big ice cream containers it is semi transparent and it would let a lot of light in or would I need something bigger???

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:03 pm
Global Moderator

I don't don't know how small a container would work. I'm using a 53 Litre storage tote (58.4cm x 41.3cm x 31.4cm LxWxH).

If you can get a transparent container and have it sunshine a few hours a day artificial lighting should not be required. However, be careful not to cook your flies.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:39 pm

Well it is early spring I think if I put them on the side of my house to get morning sun would be okay what do you think???

Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:26 pm
Global Moderator

Should be OK. You'll want to mist the walls of the container at least daily to give them drinking water. Open containers of water didn't work for me as the flies tend to drown in them.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:22 am

Now my one problem is now that they have living quarters they are all kind of ignoring each other when I'm around???

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:46 pm

I am just wondering what makes the flies want to mate?

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:32 pm
Global Moderator

Lighting, temperature and humidity. See the BioSystems Design Blog's "A Primer on Black Soldier Fly" (link) for the numbers.

It is possible that all your flies are the same sex. Are they all the same size? Females are generally larger than males.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next