View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Small Scale Indoor Breeding 

Post Re: Small Scale Indoor Breeding
BorealWormer wrote:
Is the wire coming out from the right side a temperature probe (thermometer)?

good eye! Yes, I was curious about the temperature in the grubs-box. At a room temperature of 21,6°C (70,9F) I measured 43°C (109.4F) between the maggots.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:55 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

The larvae do generate a lot of heat and there has been some experimenting with keeping colonies active outside during the winter with insulated bins. This site reported "The difference in temperature between inside and outside the unit can exceed at times 82F or 45 C." In the link below look under What Happens in Winter for a graph and some info.
http://www.esrint.com/pages/bioconversion.html

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:18 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

As I mentioned earlier, I have a egg-laying-hatching box in my fly breeding box. Which I remove every couple of days/weeks to remove the maggots and put them in the grub raising box. Here is a photo of this egg-laying-hatching-box. In the scale up you can see a clutch:

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:54 am
Global Moderator

Any idea of the humidity (RH%) in your bins?

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:31 pm

no idea regarding the humidity in my breeding box, never messured it.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:27 pm
Global Moderator

earthtiger do the flies hit your light or is it behind a screen? When I tried this with a 23 watt Compact Fluorescent Light the BSF were attracted to the light and bumped into it like other flying insects do. Although they didn't seem to be hurt by contact with the CFL I'd be worried about having any type of a hotter light inside the screen as the flies might be hurt.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:25 pm

Yes, the try to fly in the direction of the light in bump into it. The lamp I use has a glass panel.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:04 am

Hi everyone,
Inspired by your stories on captive breeding, I decided to try this for myself.

a. The lights that I used were: 1 x 55 W Osram Dulux L /840
http://www.lightonenergy.co.uk/Sylvania ... l-4pin.htm
and 2 x 18 W Sylvania Daylight tubes
http://www.lightonenergy.co.uk/Daylight ... activa.htm
b. The enclosure measured 24“ x 24“ x 24“, built under the workbench in my garage.
c. Lights were run from 9.00 AM to 3.00 PM every day for 7 days. Apart from that, the flies were in complete darkness. After 7 days, 28 of the flies had died, some must surely have escaped, and there were 8 survivors.
d. I added a shallow pan with water, and also a green branch. I cannot say if they served any purpose. I never saw the flies drinking, and they mostly ignored the branch, preferring to sit on the walls and floor.
e. The ambient temps were around 25-31*C (77-88*F) so heating was not an issue.

The photo’s are here: http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... 20Indoors/

01 Overall View

02 Enclosure

03 Lights

04 New Kids

05 Mating

06 Egg Traps

07 Egg Clusters

08 Incubator

09 Hatching

10 Two Weeks Old

Last edited by BorealWormer on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Insert picture links

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:55 pm
Global Moderator

Pete thank you for sharing your info and photos. I've edited your post to display your photos directly as shown here.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:28 pm
Global Moderator

PeteB wrote:
d. I added a shallow pan with water, and also a green branch. I cannot say if they served any purpose. I never saw the flies drinking, and they mostly ignored the branch, preferring to sit on the walls and floor.
I have to agree that standing water and plants are not really required. As a matter of fact I've seen the flies drown in standing water when I used shallow pans. Instead I mist the walls and screen daily and have noticed the BSF appearing to drink from the beads of water.

Any idea what the humidity was in your inclosure?

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:53 pm

BW, I don't have an instrument, but I would guess it varied between 70-90%.
Some days can be quite uncomfortable . . at least for us weak humans :)
Thanks for fixing the photo's.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:38 am
Global Moderator

Taking my inspiration from the preceding posts detailing successful breeding under artificial lighting I gave it a try with three Compact Fluorescent Lights rated at a total of 4100 lumens (two 23 watt 1600 lumen and one 14 watt 900 lumen) in reflectors immediately above the screen over the top of my bin.

I observed the first coupled mating pair today and hope to find some egg clusters over the next few days :)

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:47 pm
Global Moderator

BorealWormer wrote:
I observed the first coupled mating pair today and hope to find some egg clusters over the next few days :)
So far lots of mating activity but no egg clusters. About 15 flies have emerged and there's lots of activity when the lights are on. My bin sits close to where I work on my computer and sometimes the flies are loud enough to attract my attention. I believe a lot of this is just male terratorial displays but mating is also noisy with both flies buzzing loudly with their wings. It can also be quite a rough and tumble process which is, in certain aspects, as entertaining as TV wrestling so I set up my camera in the bin for a couple of hours to record the action.

I definitely am not an entomologist but I don't believe any of the pairs in the video actually mated as they usually stay 'en copula' (coupled tail to tail motionless) for an extended period.

I have seen a pair 'en copula' coupled end to end for over an hour.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:45 pm
Global Moderator

Still no egg clusters to be found. There are 20+ flies now and lots of activity when the lights are on. I believe a lot of this is just male territorial displays as there are lots of flies in a small volume. This blog post on the North Carolina State University Insect Museum site (link) mentions that "The males wait for females at lekking sites that they defend against intruding males. When an intruder is spotted it will by “tackled” by the defending male." This certainly describes what I've seen where one fly grapples another in mid air then the pair drop to the bin floor with wings flapping madly. This activity can last a minute or more with the pair becoming airborne in short hops. It ends without the long coupling tail to tail which I'm assuming is actual mating.

So are these failed mating attempts or just male territorial displays?

As for the lack of egg clusters the females could be laying their eggs hidden elsewhere in the bin. Maybe there are just a lot of male flies in the bin. I still can't reliably determine their sex at a glance.

Looking back to my first experiment (link) it was three weeks from when I first observed a mating pair to when the first egg clusters were found. It's only been about a week so I'm still optimistic.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:42 pm

What are you using as bait, BW?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:57 am
Global Moderator

Moist used coffee grounds and the active BSFL 'pudding' (my rearing tub is in the bin). I'm reluctant to try any of the smellier options as the bin is in my residence.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:06 pm
Global Moderator

Finally an egg cluster! :D A relief after seeing mating (coupling end to end) on an almost daily basis but no eggs in any of the planned ovipositing sites. As with my first experiment the egg cluster was laid in the container of used coffee grounds which is kept moist and humid. I've decided not to move the egg cluster into a warmer more humid incubation container but will see how the eggs fare as is.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:01 pm
Global Moderator

I've discovered a few more egg clusters in the voids in the used coffee grounds and some new hatchlings. It looks like the third generation will live on :D

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:42 pm

congratulations!

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:32 pm
Global Moderator

Thanks :) and thank you again for sharing your information. It was a great help.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next