View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Managing A Two Week Vacation 

Post Managing A Two Week Vacation
On the assumption I'll have noone to take care of my larvae while I am on my two week vacation in July, what is the best way to prepare things so the colony will either be just fine when I get back or most able to rebound quickly? My set-up at the moment is a polyethylene greenhouse tent with two larvae bins and a pupation bin in it. The greenhouse keeps the adults contained nicely at the moment and I have a lot of breeding activity.

I was thinking about storing some egg clusters in the fridge or something but do not know if this will work. I'll also throw a decent number of larvae/pupae into the compost pile to ensure a healthy wild population.

Anyway, your thoughts and input are appreciated.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:20 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Managing A Two Week Vacation
Hi MRW.

I would put the composters outside in the shade, and add a bunch of raw potatoes, carrots, and other hard vegetables. The hard/raw veggies work great as vacation feeders because the larvae can't eat them quickly. In your area you should get more than enough egg laying from the local BSF to keep your composters full.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:13 pm
Profile WWW

I got back last night and as of today I have a near complete right off. Something knocked over my bin and literally scraped out all of the contents. I was able to salvage about a half a shovel full of material with active worms in it... :cry: Even though it was on my compost pile which had an active larvae population when I left, there was little in the way off larval activity to capitalize on.

I think my cardboard egg receptacles have a few viable clusters, so I am hopeful to get back up to speed soon. Anyone know where I can get coir and charcoal?

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:36 pm
Site Admin

Sorry to hear about the critters! I'm sure you'll have steady laying for several months.

This is the charcoal I use: LINK I think it's available in smaller bags too.

These are the coconut husk chips I've used with decent results: LINK

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:16 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks - what exactly do you use for the bug barrier? I need to remake mine as it was mangled...

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:12 am
Site Admin

I use this: LINK

There are two brands that I'm aware of, and one or the other is available at Home Depot and Lowes.

Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]