View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 BSF egg traps made easy 

Post Re: BSF egg traps made easy
Aussiemoo wrote:
Under the right conditions they will even lay out in the open, but when they do it's in a 3D shape. basically the biggest non-predator threat to insect eggs is dessication, as they lose a little water each time they intake oxygen. If you have a high relative humidity you will increase the survival rate of the egg. The insects instinctively know this, and therefore they search for a space where they can get maximum humidity. I would say that the flutes in carboard are the gold standard at the moment. I wouldn't try and go larger than that.

thanx for this.
The question still remains .... what size would they prefer?
the cavities/flutes in cardboard varies a lot I have many cardboard boxes here with a flute size of 6mm. According to some comments this is too big.
If humidity is the only requirement then cardboard might not be the best option - because of its tendency to dry out the environment until it is saturated or at least in equilibrium with the surrounding air. also then you would ... for the humidity reason not stack them but have them individually so that the center ones wont be drier than the outer layers.

yes I have senn photos of eggs been laid on flat styrofoam. I have also experienced eggs being laid in the open ... on old styrofoan punnets that was previously used for packing vegetables in the supermarket.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 am
Profile Send private message

Post Re: BSF egg traps made easy
Alfredo Llecha wrote:

You are right, this a method for harvesting wild eggs, yes those flies are wilds. Also I designed some egg traps for 3D printers, the volume of each cell is known, so the accounting of number of eggs is quite accurate.

Is it possible to post a photo rather than video clip? for some reason the clip does not play this side.. thanx

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:06 am
Profile Send private message
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2