View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Redfeather from Joliet Illinois 

Post Redfeather from Joliet Illinois
Split off from the Introductions section - BW

Today I found some Black Soldier worm on sale at PetCo when I opened one of the containers a adult BS flew away - got a good deal on the rest of them. I have then in a big clear plastic container with some strips of card board standing on end . Lost of other worm appear to be dead I sprayed a little water on the to see what happens . I am hoping to start a colony to use for fish bait I am searching the internet for a good design for a indoor composter I am new to the cyber world as soon as I figure how. I will post pictures of my set up

Redfeather from Joliet Illinois "Victor is my name " Day two at least a doz BSF flying in habitat - old mercury vapor light from green house project light up the small room that is heated electric heat holding 72deg. F -2 deg this morning -I used some burped seed starter mix .it made from natural coconut fiber and some old left over windy's garden salad in a small container. Inside the big tote that I covered with fine nylon net. I Tried using tote cover but inside of tote got condensation on it real quick. Wall of flying container are dry now BSF like the bright light. That all the news I have for today. Every thing done in a rush . Big learning curve maybe I will get lucky first time. Thank you for letting me share this wonderful new adventure with you any kind of luck and I will be catching some nice big Blue Gill this spring . My birthday was last Saturday I just turned 75 years old.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:55 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Redfeather from Joliet Illinois
Redfeather wrote:
... I am new to the cyber world as soon as I figure how. I will post pictures of my set up
See How To Add Videos and Pictures To Your Posts (link)

Quote:
... My birthday was last Saturday I just turned 75 years old.
Staying young by trying out something new (BSFL) Congratulations!

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:33 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Contact -- looks like the mercury light is working - so are the BSF - now got to start work on my pod - thank every one for sharing information -- big learning curve - new camera to figure out maybe some pictures someday - still not sure how to build a pod that will contain a colony of all phases of BSF - also food source, if you are what you eat some foods might cause them to be favored buy the fish - looks like more testing needed -that is a good idea, more fishing and thinking to do. never to late to have a happy childhood

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:05 am

First day building

Attachments:
File comment: First attempt
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 54.28 KiB | Viewed 11504 times ]
Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:22 pm

Well looks like I figured out how to post a picture - you can not see the screen wire covering the opening at top.- mercury vapor light makes my little buddy's happy - I will use this as the top section for my colony - old coffee grounds and some leftover garden salad as plant starter in pile - little container still has quit a few BSFL - I am making every thing Mobil so I can place habitat in front of my bay window on sunny day's - have had very few of those lately

Redfeather

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:38 pm

Ok can't wait to see in person...

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:52 pm
Global Moderator

Redfeather wrote:
Well looks like I figured out how to post a picture - you can not see the screen wire covering the opening at top.- mercury vapor light makes my little buddy's happy -
Looks good :) Any specs on the light (lumens, color temperature, watts. etc)

Quote:
... I am making every thing Mobil so I can place habitat in front of my bay window on sunny day's
I do the same thing with my small indoor bin (link).

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:53 pm

Actually the light is not a mercury vapor it. is a 250 watt Medal Halide white light rated at 120,000 - 140,000 Lumens
It measures 10x18x6 and weigh 18 lbs. - it is for indoor use only

Just named the picture court house - the nursery ,tea room and then the yippee we are getting our wings chamber all will be added later

That you for all you help

Redfeather

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:00 pm

More info about picture
Top screen room 14"x22"x9"
Bottom 14"x22"x12"

Room temp around habitat 63 deg F

Temperature inside pile 74deg F

Temperature 4" above pile 70 deg F

Temperature 10" below light 78 Deg F

All temperature taken with 250 watt light on

Redfeather

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:43 pm
Global Moderator

Direct sunlight measures between 32,000 and 130,000 lux while full daylight (not direct sun) is between 10,000 and 25,000 lux (link).

One lux is equal to one lumen per square metre:
"A flux of 1,000 lumens, concentrated into an area of one square metre, lights up that square metre with an illuminance of 1,000 lux. However, the same 1,000 lumens, spread out over ten square metres, produces a dimmer illuminance of only 100 lux."

Redfeather wrote:
Actually the light is not a mercury vapor it. is a 250 watt Medal Halide white light rated at 120,000 - 140,000 Lumens ...

Top screen room 14"x22"x9"
Bottom 14"x22"x12"

Just doing a little calculating:

Bin area 14" x 22" = 308 sq in = 0.198709 sq metres

130,000 lumens from your lamp

130,000 lumens over 0.198709 sq metres = 654,221 lux

So your light will shine on your bin with about five times the brightness of direct sunlight. I would keep an eye on the flies and also watch the humidity so they don't dry out.

PS - I have a page Lighting for Black Soldier Fly Breeding (link) with some info on Units Of Measurement for light (link)

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:35 am

Thank you BorealWormer for the information and advice - only five day ago I was just trying to buy some different kind of fish bait - weather is not good for fishing anyway. Some of the first born BSF have caught dirt sleep expected that. I can monitor temperature ok - still need to figure out humidity - do you think I can filter the light by add color clear plastic over top chamber? - I also need to cover some of the screen area to contain moisture. I am going to install a entrance hatch in the top of the top chamber for maintenance . Still have about one dozen Active BSF several active BSFL moving around.

Thank you again

Redfeather

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:08 am
Global Moderator

Redfeather wrote:
... do you think I can filter the light by add color clear plastic over top chamber?
That or raise the lamp higher above the bin.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:02 am

Looks like by raising light and covering screened area really made my buddy's happy
Never seen this active - the one that I thought were dead started to moving when I sprayed them with a fine mist of bottled water.

Thank's again

Redfeather

Attachments:
File comment: Placed dual stat in side of habitat
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 185.99 KiB | Viewed 11465 times ]
File comment: Changed hight of light also wrapped with clear wrap -installed hatch on top clear lemon also covered top with clear wrap
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 187.14 KiB | Viewed 11465 times ]
Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:16 pm

Just noticed lemon in picture post should have been lexon

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:17 pm

Today is first time in sun light - 85 % rel. hum. The room were it was 80 deg F of course when I moved it in front of the window with the sun that room was 72 deg.F. - instant confiscation inside sides o habitat - some thing is leaving tracks in the confiscation - I used a magnifying glass what ever they are the are clear or almost clear milky colored - they are appearing in all corners of chamber and appear in large numbers - being a fisherman I can't trust my judgement to the numbers and size there are a bunch and they are small - the biggest numbers are around the pile of mixture that the first BSF came from - are there any known mites that pledge the BSF or these just BSFL

Redfeather

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:23 pm
Global Moderator

Redfeather wrote:
... instant confiscation inside sides o habitat - some thing is leaving tracks in the confiscation
BSFL will use the surface tension of water to climb vertical walls so the condensation may cause you problems later as the larvae are escape artists. They can squeeze through the smallest opening.

Quote:
- I used a magnifying glass what ever they are the are clear or almost clear milky colored - they are appearing in all corners of chamber and appear in large numbers
They may be newly hatched BSFL (link).

Quote:
... are there any known mites that pledge the BSF
There's some discussion about mites here (link)

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Need to watch spell checker or learn to spell - First day trip for Sun - condensation allowed me to discover BSFL - early this morning I acquired a three pound coffee can of warn used coffee grounds add those to habitat - the little container that I showed in first picture was dumped in front left corner this was where the mass of critters were coming from . Drilled inspection hole in front of container - stirred pile and I found all sizes of BSFL I ordered 100 BSFL and they were all dryer out so I pored the in that corner also -humidify and condensation help solve mystery of dead BSF --also information about how powerful that light was kept me from baking the whole lot into crispy critters. I have 8 BSF setting on coffee grounds looks like they are adding some more eggs - i will study the reports you recommended - picture were a big help also - I didn't know the little BSFL had legs they can really scoot - I am not going to move system to Sun again while it is this cold . I am going to keep them in my hobby room I can control the temp and humility they quite Easley by moving light up and down as well as covering and uncovering open screen area
I am holding the temperature at 80 deg F with a humidity at 85%
When I added the top screened room I installed wooden shelf all the way around - this seems to be stopping the little BSFL they craw freely on the wall I thing that is because they are looking for the coffee grounds lots of movement on pile - lucky for me that I got them when I did - I am starting a log book - I also installed clear windows to be able to watch every thing that is going on need to buy a better magnifier --

thank you for all your help

Redfeather

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:43 pm
Global Moderator

There will always be a few that wander but it's usually the prepupal larvae which have stopped eating that go looking for a way out. You'll probably want to look at a barrier of some sort. Jerry lines the top interior circumference with the rough (not the fuzzy) strip of two-part Velcro. I experimented with an electric 'fence' (link) and there are also the mechanical barriers used by PeteB (link) and (link).

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:11 pm

As you can see my shop is a mess looks like my solders are doing fine in the rebuilt habitat it is a sealed chamber except for the air intakes on the top I am using some of those paperless coffee filter micro fine mesh will let air in to allow ventilation the room that it set in is climate controlled . I just have to do a little rebuild maybe move a wall to give me a little more room.

Redfeather

Attachments:
File comment: Lunch
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 228.76 KiB | Viewed 11014 times ]
File comment: Looking through new window
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 209.57 KiB | Viewed 11014 times ]
File comment: Complete rebuild all cracks sealed clear plexiglass all the way around on top chamber clear window on bottom chamber with take out ports on bottom and two sealed doors on top should stop runaways
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 166.53 KiB | Viewed 11014 times ]
Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:30 am

This is a picture of the reusable coffee filters that I am venting habitat with need to figure out a bottom tea chamber next

Attachments:
File comment: Air intake coffee filter
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 154.96 KiB | Viewed 10956 times ]
Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next