View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Protecting from Raccoons, Opossums, Etc. 

Post Protecting from Raccoons, Opossums, Etc.
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has any advice to share on keeping their BSF farms critter-proof. I will be working with a Bio-Composter from Jerry (I'm excited to get it going this spring!). I know we have an opossum that patrols our neighborhood and I'm sure s/he'd be interested in getting into the composter.

Any tips and insights are appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:52 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: Protecting from Raccoons, Opossums, Etc.
Chris welcome to our forum :) If you'd like you can introduce yourself here (link). Also if you have a wild population of BSF we would love to add your location to our Black Soldier Fly Mapping Project (link). See the 'Range and Identification' section (link) for instructions.

I don't have any experience with outdoor bins but do the opossum go after your trash cans too? If so whatever you've done to critter proof them might also be used on your bin. Hopefully others with direct experience will chime in here.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Thanks, BorealWormer.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:32 am

c.s.carnevale wrote:
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has any advice to share on keeping their BSF farms critter-proof. I will be working with a Bio-Composter from Jerry (I'm excited to get it going this spring!). I know we have an opossum that patrols our neighborhood and I'm sure s/he'd be interested in getting into the composter.

Any tips and insights are appreciated!

Chris, this can be an ongoing problem - possums, raccoons, armadillos and unfortunately rats too. (Sometimes neighborhood dogs running loose too.) Before doing anything, I'd wait to see if you have problems. You might not even have to worry about it. But if you do...

Rats can be combated with traps set on the surface of the substrate. They will eat both the food waste in your bin and the grubs unless you can control them.

Coons, dogs, armadillos and possums can be a bigger frustration because they can knock your plastic bin completely over. You can wire together hogwire sections that cover your bins on 4 sides and the top that sit over your bin to keep the pests at bay but allow access to the BSF for egglaying.

If you build your own wooden bin, you can weight or latch the top so that the bigger critters can't gain access. You may still have to deal with the rat issue however. One advantage of using conventional rat traps is that when you kill a rat, you can just leave the dead rat and trap in the bin for a few days. The BSF will totally consume the rat then you can remove and rinse off the empty trap.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]