View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 What if I don't *want* BSFL in my compost bin??? 

Post What if I don't *want* BSFL in my compost bin???
I moved to northern California from the Pacific Northwest. I composted for years up there and never any BSFL until now, in California. I know this is a forum celebrating these creatures, but I don't want them. I'm happy to have my compost decompose more slowly without them. Is there anything I can do to discourage their presence? Is there a perfect ration of browns/greens that will deter them? I'm pretty sure my bin was too wet when they "discovered" it. I've since put in a lot of shredded newspaper to dry it out. Will that work over time? Will they ever stop dropping out of my bin? It's the kind that's up on legs and spins around for mixing, a new way of doing it for me. I would really rather they weren't in my bin, no matter how beneficial you all say they are! Please advise--- thank you.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:09 am
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: What if I don't *want* BSFL in my compost bin???
Hi and welcome to our forums. I don't know of anything that you could add to your bin compost wise to discourage BSFL. You could try a screen barrier as suggested in the Black Soldier Fly Larvae in Worm Bins (link) topic.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:01 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]