View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 EnviroFlight, Yellow Springs Ohio 
Site Admin

Post EnviroFlight, Yellow Springs Ohio
This thread was originally "The power of flies (BSF)-article from Bloomberg Business" and was changed so posts about EniroFlight are in an easy to find thread - Admin

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-05-26/the-power-of-flies-to-save-barbecue-season%23r=rss

Quote:
Glen Courtright, a systems engineer and entrepreneur, is betting on the bugs. The Yellow Springs (Ohio)-based company he founded, EnviroFlight, has pioneered over the past three years a new bio-conversion facility powered by millions of mating black soldier flies and tens of millions of their wriggly offspring. The business is in the larvae.

“At our plant we can produce a few million black soldier fly eggs daily,” Courtright says. “That’s about 2,000 tons of a formulated animal feed every year.” For years, conservationists have been keen to exploit the voracious appetite of the black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens) to speed up composting of food wastes.

:o

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon May 27, 2013 12:34 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: EnviroFlight, Yellow Springs Ohio
It's nice to see this industry developing. Is this the first commercial venture (other than pet food) in North America?

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon May 27, 2013 1:39 am

BorealWormer wrote:
It's nice to see this industry developing. Is this the first commercial venture (other than pet food) in North America?

I know of at least one other.

Mon May 27, 2013 8:34 am
Global Moderator

Tarvus wrote:
Animal feed, waste management or something else?

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon May 27, 2013 9:24 am
Site Admin

BorealWormer wrote:
Tarvus wrote:

Fess up Brian! :P

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon May 27, 2013 11:39 am

“Black soldier flies can mate in any climate, and it’s a low-energy production process. The externalities are zero. There’s no waste, no odor,” he says.

Excuse me! Any climate?

Mon May 27, 2013 10:09 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Solarves wrote:
“Black soldier flies can mate in any climate, and it’s a low-energy production process. The externalities are zero. There’s no waste, no odor,” he says.

Excuse me! Any climate?
Their process is entirely indoors and I think they plan to sell the rights or franchises. The preceding sentence says "Enviroflight’s entire patent-pending production process is designed to be exported."

The reporter is a little lax with interchanging the various life stages too mixing up references to larvae, pupa and flies.

Mon May 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Climate may refer to indoor conditions as well. I guess I shouldn't be expecting a "scientific review" level of accuracy from this article. Yes BW, this reporter was a little lax. :-)

I know of a similar large scale venture in Spain. Last I read, they keep 20,000,000 larvae. University of Alicante is helping with the scientific aspects of the operation.

Tue May 28, 2013 8:29 am
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Solarves wrote:
I know of a similar large scale venture in Spain. Last I read, they keep 20,000,000 larvae. University of Alicante is helping with the scientific aspects of the operation.
Any links?

Tue May 28, 2013 8:42 am

Jerry wrote:
BorealWormer wrote:
Tarvus wrote:

Fess up Brian! :P

Waste management/animal feed.

Tue May 28, 2013 9:08 am
Global Moderator

BorealWormer wrote:
Solarves wrote:
Any links?
Split Solarves reply off into it's own thread (link)

Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 pm
Global Moderator

This video is more of a 'chamber of commerce' promotion for Greene County Ohio but is does show some of the EnviroFlight plant

Fri May 31, 2013 1:11 pm
Global Moderator

http://ysnews.com/news/2012/09/what%E2% ... t-the-bugs

Quote:
Visitors to MillWorks can expect to see an occasional long-bodied black fly loitering outside the greenhouse Courtright calls the “Barry White room.” Inside, even at night, it is always a balmy, tropical day, with a balance of tunes from Pink Floyd, Indian pop and Barry White to set just the right mood for the tens of thousands of flies to mate and lay their precious eggs. The eggs quickly grow into the hungry larvae Enviroflight uses to process distillers grains into an animal feed that is higher in both protein and fat than when it arrived. The ration will feed, among other animals, sustainable farm-raised fish in a state that is ripe for growth in aquaculture, or commercial fish farming.

I'll have to try playing music :lol:

Fri May 31, 2013 11:39 pm
Global Moderator

EnviroFlight Corporate May 2013 Feed Workshop (PDF - Right Click & Save As)

EnviroFlight Overview
    • We develop insect-based feed ingredients for animal feeds and plant nutrients.
    • We produce hormone and antibiotic-free nutrients from the co-products of bio-fuels, breweries, and food manufacturing.
    • We produce complete diets for aquaculture species,with reduced reliance on fish meal and fish oil and elimination of animal byproducts.
    • We have global relationships representing government, industry, higher learning, and trade associations.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:12 am
Global Moderator

Another article mentioning EnviroFlight

Your Meat Should Be Raised on Insects, U.N. Says
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/obs ... -u-n-says/

Some excerpts:

“Some of the folks trying to grow insects at an industrial scale haven’t found a way to produce insect-based feeds at a cost that competes with conventional feed producers,” says Glen Courtright, president of Enviroflight, one of a handful of companies that manufacture insect-based feeds worldwide. The company, located in Ohio and founded in 2009, seems to have found a way to compete with makers of conventional feed: it sells many different types of insect feeds to a few companies in the aquaculture industry, most of which are made from black soldier fly larvae. Courtright, declined to reveal how his company manages to keep its production costs down.

The other big obstacle to producing insect-based feeds has been the fear of spreading disease. Feed insects do not tend to carry pathogens that are intrinsically dangerous to humans, but when they are fed manure or reared in unsanitary conditions, they can become vectors for bacterial disease that they can transmit to pigs, chickens and, subsequently, humans.

Enviroflight avoids this risk by not feeding their flies animal manure or table scraps. “We wouldn’t touch manure with a 10-foot pole,” Courtright says. Rather, the company feeds its larvae brewer’s grains, a by-product of alcohol production it gets from local breweries.

and

Courtright also points out that he doesn’t just sell the larvae, but also their feces, which are used to feed tilapia and prawns.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:45 am

BorealWormer wrote:

Courtright also points out that he doesn’t just sell the larvae, but also their feces, which are used to feed tilapia and prawns.

Hmmm...

I may experiment with this.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:57 am
Site Admin

Quote:
“We wouldn’t touch manure with a 10-foot pole,” Courtright says. Rather, the company feeds its larvae brewer’s grains, a by-product of alcohol production it gets from local breweries.

It would be wise for them to plan on a future where spent grain is not so cheap. If the use of maggots to produce animal feed becomes mainstream then the cost of brewer's grains and other nutritious food byproducts will probably increase significantly.

The ultimate use of fly larvae is still to convert true waste into feed.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:06 pm
Global Moderator

Quote:
“We wouldn’t touch manure with a 10-foot pole,” Courtright says. Rather, the company feeds its larvae brewer’s grains, a by-product of alcohol production it gets from local breweries.

That kinda struck me as odd too. I wonder if there's any science to it but I suspect it's just marketing.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:18 pm
Site Admin

Spent grain is the "low hanging fruit" and it's natural to want to use that instead of a bio-hazard (manure) as your feed. I see the cost of "clean waste" like the grain rising quickly, but I imagine people will pay you to take their manure. To be clear, I love what EnviroFlight is doing and I hope they succeed.

I found one article that stated a price of around $50 per ton for spent brewery grain. That seems fairly cheap to me and I would be surprised if it didn't rise in price relative to standard forms of feed. Manure, on the other hand, is a liability to livestock operations and I imagine they would pay to have someone utilize it. We'll know that we're really getting close to ultimate sustainability when manure becomes a valuable commodity. :)

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:05 pm
Global Moderator

From the advertising stand point their buyers (and the public in general) would prefer to hear that the fish feed is derived from "brewer’s grains" (yum brewery products) rather than "manure" (yeech).

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next