View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Green Soldier Fly vs, Black Soldier Fly 

Post Green Soldier Fly vs, Black Soldier Fly
My composter has been running a little over a month. I've been seeing lots of green soldier fly mating and flying around inside the composter. I've noticed the gsf will land and /or mate on the food source. The beginning amount of harvest I feel, has been pretty good for my first endeavor in this. I've only seen a very few bsf flying around the composter, and just recently observed my first bsfl. Puzzling though is that I've not seen any eggs at all in the strips of cardboard placed above the food. Nor have I been able to locate any egg deposits anywhere else in the composter. Perhaps they're "dive -bombing" by depositing their as they fly over the food, lol. I know the larvae are there as I've seen them while raking around the food. You can certainly hear them munching away. The top photo shows a size comparison. I wasn't able to successfully upload another photo with a physical object for depicting scale. I've cropped & resized several times but it keeps saying the file is too big. Oh well.

Attachments:
Side by side .jpg
Side by side .jpg [ 9.75 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]
GSF 1.jpg
GSF 1.jpg [ 41.54 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:06 pm
Global Moderator

Post Re: Green Soldier Fly vs, Black Soldier Fly
Looks like it be a Ptecticus trivittatus - Yellow Soldier Fly. See the Photo reference guide for identifying Black Soldier Flies (link).

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]