View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Enviroflight 
Global Moderator

Post Re: EnviroFlight, Yellow Springs Ohio
From the advertising stand point their buyers (and the public in general) would prefer to hear that the fish feed is derived from "brewer’s grains" (yum brewery products) rather than "manure" (yeech).

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:54 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Site Admin

BorealWormer wrote:
From the advertising stand point their buyers (and the public in general) would prefer to hear that the fish feed is derived from "brewer’s grains" (yum brewery products) rather than "manure" (yeech).

Absolutely no doubt about that! That's exactly why I see the cost of these types of "waste" going up.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:17 pm
Global Moderator

Another businessweek.com article

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... eef-please

Another fun quote from the owner:

“As adults, they just drink and screw,” Courtright says. “These guys are little miracles.”

the article concludes

Quote:
The bottom line: An Ohio startup wants FDA approval to sell bug-based feed, which it says is 20 percent cheaper than standard varieties.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:27 am

EnviroFlight was featured in Bloomberg Magazine's June 17 - June 23 issue (page 32).

Heard CNN is doing something in late July on his operation.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:08 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

"The busy bugs of EnviroFlight are churning out a new product this year — a natural fertilizer that some say is making area tomato plants grow like weeds. ..."

http://ysnews.com/news/2013/07/getting- ... o-want-not

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:10 am

Quote:
Most commercial inorganic fertilizer is made using a fossil fuel, natural gas, while organic fertilizers often contain animal manure, which can harbor pathogens. By contrast, Yellow Springs Plant Food contains no animal wastes or synthetic materials. First the black soldier fly larvae are bred onsite and bulked up with spent distillers grains from ethanol plants and brewers grains from the nearby Yellow Springs Brewery. Then the larvae are separated out to be processed into feed. What’s left, the frass, which includes the larvae’s excreta along with their shedded skins, are finely ground into the fertilizer. The resulting material is fibrous, so it helps keep moisture in the soil, and it is rich with the insects’ digestive juices, which contain beneficial enzymes that boost plant productivity, Courtright said.

BSF poo is not animal manure?? :?: :?

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Global Moderator

Solarves wrote:
Quote:
... while organic fertilizers often contain animal manure, which can harbor pathogens. By contrast, Yellow Springs Plant Food contains no animal wastes .

BSF poo is not animal manure?? :?: :?

That does seem to be a strange claim on their part. Also I would imagine that the frass could also harbor pathogens.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:23 pm
Site Admin

Marketing often bends the rules a little. ;)

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:38 pm
Global Moderator

Jerry wrote:
Marketing often bends the rules a little. ;)
Ain't that the truth. One of the larger vermicasting producers up here is marketing it as the ultimate 'green' fertilizer while using peat moss (non-renewable) as bedding.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:45 pm
Global Moderator

Another article this time in the Dayton Daily News (link). A few excerpts:

"Business is good enough that Courtright is looking for a new location to expand his company’s research and development facilities by year’s end, an expansion likely to add a dozen jobs, raising EnviroFlight’s workforce to 20." ...

"The fundamental idea of the venture is simple:

• To feed larvae grain used at breweries and ethanol plants and extra food waste like chicken nuggets and other plants;

• To harvest the protein- and fat-rich larvae at the end of their work for use in fish and poultry feed.

• To determine whether the processed grain or food waste they have been eating can be used in a so-called co-product, like fertilizer.

In a nugget factory, Courtright said, “one plant alone may have 28 million pounds of waste a year.”

First time I've seen reported that they're expanding their feedstock to more than spent brewers grains.

"Courtright, whose background is in systems engineering, has combined all these processes into modular self-contained production units that include hatcheries and nurseries on one side feeding or processing beds on the other."

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:18 pm

"...the cost of brewer's grains and other nutritious food byproducts will probably increase significantly."

If they limit themselves just to brewer's grains, possibly. But studies indicate that HALF of the food produced in the U.S. is dumped. If they're smart and the brewer's (who will never go out of business for lack of purchasers :D ) raise the price of their waste, they could just shift over to another source of food waste. THIS IS AMERICA... the most wanton, flagrant wasters in the entire world! It costs money to dump food, and I can't see any place like EnviroFlight having to pay much for food waste, when it cost so much to get rid of it, over a billion dollars a year.

"The busy bugs of EnviroFlight are churning out a new product this year — a natural fertilizer that some say is making area tomato plants grow like weeds."

Is this the stuff that is left (5lbs out of every 100 lbs per Dr. O) when the bins are cleaned out, that in some operations is turned over to earthworms for final disposal?

Sue

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:30 pm
Global Moderator

BelgianPup wrote:
"...the cost of brewer's grains and other nutritious food byproducts will probably increase significantly."

If they limit themselves just to brewer's grains, possibly.
From the advertising stand point their buyers (and the public in general) would prefer to hear that the fish feed is derived from "brewer’s grains" (yum brewery products) rather than "garbage" (yeech). I think as their operation expands they'll try other feed stocks especially if they're cheaper and if analysis of their end product shows no change in nutrient values. In the last article above they mention using 'preconsumer waste' ie from the manufacturing process which I think would give them a more consistent quality than post consumer food waste.

Quote:
"The busy bugs of EnviroFlight are churning out a new product this year — a natural fertilizer that some say is making area tomato plants grow like weeds."

Is this the stuff that is left (5lbs out of every 100 lbs per Dr. O) when the bins are cleaned out, that in some operations is turned over to earthworms for final disposal?
I think so.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:52 pm
Site Admin

Spent grain = "low hanging fruit" for BSF producers. ;)

Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:55 pm
Global Moderator

EnviroFlight and Glen Courtright are featured in the first part of this NPR segment (audio file available too):

Making Food From Flies (It's Not That Icky) (link)

Thanks go to sgone for the link.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:18 pm
Global Moderator

Fish farming a growth industry for Ohio? (link)

"EnviroFlight plans a major expansion in 2014, Courtright said Friday."

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:39 am
Global Moderator

Let Them Eat Flies

http://science.kqed.org/quest/video/let-them-eat-flies/

Edit to add: Found the YouTube version

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:13 am
Global Moderator

Because fish don’t eat corn! ENVIROFLIGHT’S CREATIVE INSECT SOLUTIONS - DAYTON CITY PAPER
http://www.daytoncitypaper.com/because- ... -eat-corn/

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:38 pm
Global Moderator

Soldier Flies: The New Food for Farm Fish (link)
By Enviroflight Media, on October 26th, 2014

From
Soldier Flies: The New Food for Farm Fish
Scientific American online
October 24, 2014

Several pounds of wild fish meal are typically needed to produce a single pound of farmed fish—not a very sustainable practice. One company is breeding Black Soldier Flies and feeding the larvae to farmed fish. The larvae eat organic waste, and become high-density protein for the fish, creating an efficient food production system that can also clean the environment.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/video ... farm-fish/

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:45 pm
Global Moderator

agweb.com article Insect Farming's Road to Profit (link)

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:51 pm
Global Moderator

There's further reference to EnviroFlight in the thread Does Enviroflight comply with the law (link). It mainly pertains to feedstocks and the current regulations in the USA and Canada.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next