View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Insect Dog Food? 

Post Insect Dog Food?
Most of the world eats insects as part of their diet on a regular basis and I've read that insects rival fish in nutrition. However, people in the US aren't too open to the idea. So in order to make insect livestock more appealing I thought farming them for the benefit of our best friends: dogs. Most dog food is, well... crap. A lot of my older dog's health issues are actually caused by his diet of cheap, dry dog food. Many of the ingredients aren't part of a dogs natural diet which consists of mostly raw meat. The raw meat diet has shown to be able to double a dog's life expectancy and has many health benefits since this is the food that wolves and dogs are adapted to. Wolves have been documented eating moths and grasshoppers and I've found that my dogs also are fond of insects. My black lab/golden retriever mix goes out of his way to catch grasshoppers and moths flying around the yard and he and my American Eskimo love eating black soldier flies and meal worms. My school research project is going to be on the nutritional value of insects for humans and dogs. As a beneficial insect with vast uses, black soldier flies will be a staple of this diet. My goal is to create a raw meat diet from insects that improves the health of my dogs. Let me know what you think.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:51 am
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Insect Dog Food?
Reaper wrote:
... My goal is to create a raw meat diet from insects that improves the health of my dogs. Let me know what you think.
It sounds interesting. This post may be of interest to you (link)

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:35 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Reaper...

I promisse you that I´ll make a video showing my dog eating larvae...
It loves eat BSF in any stage: white larvae, black larvae, pupae, fly....If I let free choice of food and larvae it will choose larvae (I´m sure about it).
Insect are a part of natural nutrition of dog if they were in nature.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:40 am
Global Moderator

agropisa wrote:
... I promisse you that I´ll make a video showing my dog eating larvae...
I'd love to see that too! It would a good fact to put out there for the general public

Quote:
It loves eat BSF in any stage: white larvae, black larvae, pupae, fly....If I let free choice of food and larvae it will choose larvae (I´m sure about it).
BelgianPup had a similar experience (link)

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Here's a video of my dog eating BSF. The more videos, the more evidence supporting my hypothesis.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:15 pm
Site Admin

It seems pigs like BSF:

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:40 pm

Pigs prefer BSFL intead anything else... They go crazy for it!
After you feed then once, only the smell of BSF makes then crazy....

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:30 am

Here´s the video of my dog eating BSFL....

Hope you enjoy....

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:38 am
Site Admin

That's excellent agropisa!

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:28 am

agropisa wrote:

Hope you enjoy....

That's really awesome. How often do you feed bsf to your dog and in what amounts?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:03 pm
Global Moderator

agropisa wrote:
Thanks! So people reading this will know, how long has your dog been eating BSFL and there are no ill effects?

For everyone, it would be great if we could get an opinion from a veterinarian.

Great dog too :)

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:17 pm

This dog appeared in my farm 3 months ago and became our best friend since them.
It is a female with 1 and 1/2 year old. Since them I gave regularly BSFL everyday. In the first days I note that it was trying to get into my greenhouse where I keep my adults in mating process (she loves to eat the adults too). As a way to keep it away from my greenhouse I gave her some grubs and since then everyday I gave it to her.
Please note that it doesn´t take any grubs from the black box. It eats only from its own plate. She is a wonderful and lovely dog with a energy that nevers end. It does not bark, it does not get into the house, it does not spoil nothing that I leave outside the house. I really don´t have words to describe this dog....Sometimes inside my rearing room I have some cockroach and this dog catch everyone for me. It kills then and bring it to me....
Even that it eat eat a lot of grubs I gave her the best food I can buy. It eats around 2,5 kg of dog food and around 1 kg of BSFL per week. But I´m sure that it eats some birds,frogs, other insects, earthworms....
I belive that this dog had been grown in the forest near my house, because when she came to my house she was so weak and with a lot of health problems. I think that she learn to survive by itself and this habit to have insects came from this....

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:28 pm
Global Moderator

agropisa wrote:
This dog appeared in my farm 3 months ago ... Since them I gave regularly BSFL everyday ... Even that it eat eat a lot of grubs I gave her the best food I can buy. It eats around 2,5 kg of dog food and around 1 kg of BSFL per week.
Thanks agropisa.

Quote:
I believe that this dog had been grown in the forest near my house, because when she came to my house she was so weak and with a lot of health problems. I think that she learn to survive by itself and this habit to have insects came from this....
That's interesting. I'm glad it has found a good home with you :)

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]