View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Using BSFL Castings In Worm Bins 
Global Moderator

Post Using BSFL Castings In Worm Bins
BSFL castings are often 'finished off' in worm bins for various reasons. One reason is that there is an established market for 'vermicompost' or 'worm castings' - terms which are well known and liked. Not so much for 'BSFL castings', 'pudding' or 'larva leavings' ;)

This is another question seen on a vermiculture forum. How to make sure that there are no larvae or eggs in BSFL casting used as feed in worm bins? This person wants to keep his worm and BSFL bins separate. Mainly he wants to keep BSFL out of his worm bin.

I offered a few suggestions which are listed below. If you have any others please chime in.

• Wait for autumn and the BSF /BSFL to leave on their own.
  • Freeze the BSFL castings to kill off any larvae and eggs
  • Isolate the BSFL castings in a ventilated container isolated from any adult BSF so no new eggs can be laid in the material. Then it's a waiting game until all the remaining larvae pupate and release them as they mature into flies. You will have to prevent any flies that have emerged from mating and laying eggs before you can release them. The flies need strong light to mate so if you keep it dark that should work.

Also other BSF may lay eggs on the outside of the container and the newly hatched larvae can crawl through fine screen or small openings. So the container will have to be isolated from any gravid female BSF.

I use the last method for my small indoor BSF system and trap the prepupal larvae when they 'crawl off' and transfer them back to the main bin. I don't think it would be practical on a larger scale.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:03 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: Using BSFL Castings In Worm Bins
In addition to freezing I wonder if 'baking' would kill off eggs and larvae? In terms of not requiring any power (an extra cost) some climates offer lots of opportunity to freeze things for free during the winter but during the summer not so much. A simple solar oven or 'hot box' would probably be enough to cook the BSFL castings.

Solar box cooker plans

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:47 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

I flooded some of mine and after a couple days it had drowned everybody still in it, but then it quickly went anearobic too which was a bit of a stinker.

Tue May 20, 2014 4:17 pm
Profile Send private message

When I have added BSF frass to my worm bins, generally the BSF try to escape down to the bottom corners or up to the top, if they're in there. Eventually the worm conditions prove too much for them and they die, becoming turgid with water and then slowly breaking down. A perfect, moist worm farm cannot support pre-pupae for very long as it's too wet.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:08 am
Profile Send private message
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]