View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 6:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 BSF waste product 

Post Re: BSF waste product
Tarvus wrote:
I should clarify my above comment: For the past two years, I no longer "raise Black Soldier Flies" - my operation is aimed entirely at harvesting their eggs rather than growing large colonies. To do so, I keep my bins fed MUCH heavier than I would if I was just keeping a colony for composting. My colonies are no longer very densely populated since the vast majority of eggs that are laid are harvested. I feed a LOT of food and I feed wet, and consequently the amount of liquid generated overwhelms the built in drainage capacity of my bins (those that have drains that is). Even my open bottomed bins will eventually waterlog the soil beneath them and cease draining efficiently, so consequently my "pudding" is anaerobic near the bottoms of the bins.

Attention to feeding rates and the addition of sawdust or coir or dried leaves or other bulking agents can keep the residue more fully aerated (for those seeking to maintain an ongoing colony rather than egg production) with little to no anaerobic smells associated with the residue. 8-)

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:44 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Site Admin

Here's why I ask Brian. I was listening to this BSF lecture by Robert Olivier, and at around 34:30 he mentions a brown, mucky material found in BSF systems that he calls "baby poo", "which starts accumulating a few inches down". It reminded me of the same material we're calling "puddin". Here's the video:

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:41 pm

I have a well functioning bin of BSF in Panama. Everything is going well and I plan to build a larger one in concrete. One stupid question I have. How do you collect the compost without killing a bunch of larvae?

Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:56 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

patrick welcome to our forum :) If you'd like you can introduce yourself here (link).

In most locations BSF are seasonal and the bins are emptied when they're idle over the winter season.

If you have a wild population of BSF we would love to add your location to our Black Soldier Fly Mapping Project (link). See the 'Range and Identification' section (link) for instructions.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:01 pm
Site Admin

Hi patrick, welcome. :D

In theory you would just need to isolate the waste from egg laying females and allow any larvae currently present to finish their development and migrate out.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:06 pm

I hope it is okay to revive a thread instead of creating a new one. I have my grubs in a 10 gallon container nested inside a bigger container to catch the crawl offs. I have also observed this pudding stuff and have been able to skim it off with very few grubs in it, as they seem to be underneath it eating other stuff. I have assumed this is their poop. I put the poop in a bucket on my deck, and in a couple of days, it really did smell just like manure, just not as strong. Today, some type of flying bug found it, and there were 7 of them flying around it. I don't think they were the soldier fly because they were pretty small and plump looking. But I know they were not regular house flies.

Does anyone have any experience putting this stuff in a compost tumbler?

I live in a very urban situation with a mostly gravel back yard and an elevated deck. I am actually doing all my gardening inside my kitchen under grow lights. I keep my worm bins in my kitchen following the Larry Hall bucket method with peat moss and a grain diet, so I don't have any smells, drainage, etc. Everything is very clean. I do not feel comfortable putting something in my worm bins that smells like poop.

I have seen videos of people hot composting manure under black tarps. Usually, it's a big pile. Can I do this with a tiny 1/2 gallon size pile?

If I put the stuff in my tumbler, can it just be in there alone?

I was thinking after the stuff aged and maybe broke down some more to where it didn't smell anymore, then I might try feeding it to my worms or just mix it into my soil bin that I'm still trying to decide what to do with.

Any thoughts? Keep in mind, I don't have a place really to till it into the garden outside and my worms are in my kitchen.

Thanks,

Inga

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2