View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 BSF byproduct. 

Post BSF byproduct.
Three years ago, I relocated an open bottom BSF bin. I shoveled most of the pile residue on to my banana trees as mulch/compost, but a small remnant was left on the original spot. A volunteer papaya plant sprang up in the residue (I had fed an over-ripe papaya to the BSF.) The tree grew like it was on fire! For the past two years, I have harvested papaya like this off the volunteer tree. I guess this could be considered an "indirect" BSF byproduct?

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:02 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Post Re: BSF byproduct.
I have never fertilized or even watered the volunteer papaya tree. It's now about 2 1/2 years old and in it's second year of production. The tree is pushing twenty feet in height! Evidently the BSF residue provided a nutritious environment for it as it is growing in sandy, infertile soil and has yielded pumper crops for the past two years!

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:10 pm
Site Admin

Nice!

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:39 pm
Global Moderator

Banana and papaya trees <sigh> The snow has only just disappeared here and it will be weeks before things green up</sigh>

Great byproducts of larvae leavings Tarvus :)

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:23 pm
Site Admin

I found a research paper from Indonesia where they accidentally discovered how effective black soldier fly larvae residue is as a fertilizer.

Quote:
As we have found during 2007 that bioconversion is not limited only on maggot biomass
production. It has confirmed that the rest from the process is the real biofertilizer advantageous for
agriculture. This study has become a topic research for a S2 student thesis from UI (University of
Indonesia). The summary of the thesis is presented in Annex 3.

Research on biofertilizer a byproduct from bioconversion process

The discovery of the utility of the rest from bioconversion process as biofertilizer was unexpected. Usually when we clean and separate maggot biomass from the medium, the maggot was used as aquafeed base either directly as live food or in fresh form mixing with rice bran screw into pellets form either it may be transformed as dried meal replacing fish meal in food formulation. By separating the maggot biomass, we have usually thawed the rest of the culture in the bananas field or underneath of some fruit trees nearby. The farmers have alerted the first observation. There were remarkable differences between the groups of plants that have received the biofertilizer comparing with the control groups without receiving it. Therefore, the first experimentation to give evidence on the fertilizer advantage has conducted us to work on Vigna unguiculata (kacang penjang). After 3 months of culture (from February to May 2008) an evaluation has been evaluated, concentrating on plants and fruits biomass productions. The root system developments, including the rhizosphere contact surface and the number of nodules developed, have also taken in consideration. The advantages of biofertilizer have today no ambiguity. In term of dried biomass of vegetal matter (plants and leaves), there are 3.36 times more for the group which has been treated with the biofertilizer. In term of root system development, precisely at the level of rhizosphere, there are 3.43 times more. In another word, the biofertilizer has increased subsequently contact surfaces between root and soil. In term of root nodules symbiosis, the amount has recorded more by 1.43 times, concerning the group treated by biofertilizer, comparing with the control group none treated. It is now very clear that there is a real advantage of the use of biofertilizer on plants.

However many questions remain need to support by further research. On the top of the symbiotic root system nodule (Rhizobium bacteria symbiotic in fixation of atmospheric nitrogen), the investigation must go further on symbioses may develop along as mycorrhizal associations with soil fungi? And what are the origin possible of those microorganism strain? All those question marks represent the research topics in the future concerning the microbiology aspects. At the beginning of year 2008, since the discovery of the fertilizer proprietary on the material left over from the PKM bioconversion, the finding has putted the bioconversion program into another consideration, which recognize as an environmental friendly research program, which is justified today as a priority to encourage. Recently, published in the Seafdec magazine “Fish for the people” and broadcasting in January through some Media in France (AFP). WWF in Indonesia
as well as in France have considered the bioconversion program as an environmental friendly approach an ecological intensification example

The Knowledge Base submission for this study can be found here: LINK

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]