View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Best way to ship adult BSF larvae? 

Post Best way to ship adult BSF larvae?
Just wondering what would be the best way to ship juvenile / adult BSF larvae. I'm sure shipping by USPS Priority mail is the best shipping method (fast and economical) but need to know what type of container to use to contain the larvae so they can survive the trip through the mail. What type of food source / shipping media should I use. I want to send BSF larvae in 1lb increments.

Thanks in advance!

Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:48 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Best way to ship adult BSF larvae?
Hi Tallahatchery.

I used to ship large juveniles with USPS Priority, and most of the time they survived.

I think the biggest issue is overheating, and you don't have much control over that. I used to insist on signature confirmation so that the packages wouldn't be left in a mailbox or on a porch in direct sunshine. Also, if there was no one to sign then the package would go back to the Post Office where it would be stored in air conditioning. To minimize heat from the larvae themselves I didn't include any food.

I used double ziplock bags with as much air in them as possible. If I remember correctly, I also included some frass and maybe a little moist sawdust or wood shavings.

When I first started shipping larvae I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with a USPS rep trying to find any rules against shipping the larvae and we couldn't find any. I think the main concern was that the larvae couldn't escape, and that if they died odor wouldn't be an issue.

The first few years I shipped I didn't have any arrive dead, but then I had a year that was problematic.

I hope that helps...

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks for the your input Jerry. I shipped about a pound of larvae today (about 1/4 lb extra just in case any die along the way). I couldn't find much on the internet about shipping BSF Larvae and figured the heat would be the biggest issue as you had mentioned. I broke up the shipment into 4 separate plastic cups with breathable lids and no food. I put shipping tape along the rim of the cups to make sure none would escape. I picked up a medium size USPS priority mail box at the post office and poked about 100 nail holes through the two long sides of the box. I put the cups on their side so the top of the plastic lids were next to the cardboard with the nail holes, then I filled the rest of the box with shredded paper. Sealed it up and dropped off at the post office. I will post the results when the package arrives.. my fingers are crossed. If it works I will send photos of my next shipment.

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:13 am

I received an order for 1 lb of juvenile / Adult BSF larvae. This is how I shipped the package.

1. Measured 1 1/4 lbs of larvae (extra 1/4 lb included for die off / shrinkage) - see photo
2. Divided the order into 4 plastic containers with breathable lids. Taped lid to container with packaging tape - see photo
3. Picked up a medium sized flat rate box at the post office. Poked small holes in both of the long sides of the box - see photo
4. Placed the containers on their side in the box with the breathable lid butting up against the holes poked in the box - see photo
5. Add shredded paper to fill the box to insure the breathable lids butt tight against the holes poked in the box - see photo
6. Seal the box, label and drop-off at the post office.

I sent this off yesterday morning (Wednesday August 4) so I'm anxious to hear what shape the larvae arrive in tomorrow (Friday August 6).

Anyone else want to share their shipping tips.

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:55 pm

Just heard from the buyer and had great news! BSF Larvae arrived alive and thriving. This is despite the fact that the box looked like it had been through hell and back by the post office. Very odd that a box with a "Live Animals" sticker would be treated in such a horrible fashion. I guess it's good that they arrived in good shape anyway. I'm feeling very confident since the weather is burning up right now and they still arrived safe.

Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:17 am
Site Admin

Excellent news, however I would have a clearly defined policy in place for dead arrivals.

One thing I used to do was avoid shipping over the weekend. I worried that the order might sit in a non air conditioned space on a Sunday.

The air holes might help, but I had very few D.O.A.s even though I shipped in air tight bags for two or three years. I was more concerned about escapees than suffocating the larvae.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks Jerry -

I only ship Monday through Wednesday as I don't want to have them sitting at the post office over the weekend either. I had some baby chicks that I purchased that ended up at the post office and everyone of them died because that sat at the post office over the weekend.

How do they survive in an airtight bag? I would think that the heat build up in an airtight bag would be too much for the larvae. What type of bags did you use? Did you fill make a big space of oxygen in the bag?

Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:51 pm
Site Admin

I used a one gallon zip lock bag half full of air.

Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]