View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Is anyone using the ProtaPod? 

Post Is anyone using the ProtaPod?
I have used the BioPod for a number of years, both the original and the current versions. Last year I invested in two ProtaPods in order to significantly boost grub production (as high-octane feed for my flock of Icelandic chickens).

I'm having a real drainage problem with the ProtaPod, essentially a simplified, greatly enlarged version of the BioPod: http://www.thebiopod.com/pages/pages/protapod.html

I set up the unit according to Compost Mania's instructions, especially as regards provisions for proper drainage, and at first all was well--getting an active colony established was no problem. But at a certain point drainage out of the bottom came almost to a complete halt, with grub production for the season minuscule.

I read about Jerry's "flushable" bin design, which surprised me: Solve the way-too-wet problem by flooding with water?? But his analysis of the nature of the problem--the viscosity of the grubs' frass--makes sense.

When fly season starts in another few weeks, I'm going to experiment with some flushable buckets for a sense of the concept in action. But for efficient production in my ProtaPods, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to design a drainage system that allows for flushing. Has anyone made that kind of modification to a ProtaPod?

I should add that I only put one of my two ProtaPods into service last year, with bottom drilled per instructions. But I purposely did not drill the other unit, so I still have a solid bottom in it and thus the option to make any sort of modification needed to solve this problem.

Thanks so much to anyone with experience to share about the ProtaPod, whether regarding drainage or other management issues.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:03 pm
Profile Send private message
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]