View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 BSF larvae separation 

Post BSF larvae separation
hi fellas
I've been feeding my bsf with coffee grounds and mostly fruits like apple, banana and tomato, and I noticed that after a while all the food waste will become lumpy (for lack of better word) and the bsf seems to not move much (probably can't). Today I notice some of them died as well (not moving, probably dead), while getting stuck in the lump of waste.
Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I have another colony that I raised in mostly coffee grounds and they experienced the same thing, after a while it'll get lumpy and sticky.

So my questions are, how to avoid this? and how to separate the larvae from the waste so I can start with new feed?

I've tried rinsing them (food waste with larvae in it) with water and collecting the larvae, but it seems they died after a few days.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:39 am
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: BSF larvae separation
Immature Larvae Collection Device or ILCD (old butter tub) (link). This is simply a container with some small holes around the bottom edge. Food is placed in the container which is placed on the surface of the frass. The larvae crawl in through the holes to get at the food and then can be easily harvested.

Forty minutes later:

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:21 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]