View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 No to little mating 

Post No to little mating
Hello, first time on the forum here and wondering if anyone might be able to offer some advice. This is my second trial. My first trial we had a almost no mating and very few eggs. My goal is to have a year around BSF operation inside.

First let me state: welcome to amateur hour. Please feel free to laugh at my setup with the lace on the mosquito netting. My goal is to prove concept before building it out to scale. Any and all advice would be welcome. I have been reading the forums and trying to put an affordable system together to show success before I move this to a medium size warehouse space for scalability.

Here is my setup:

Overview of the entire setup.
Attachment:
File comment: Overview of the room.
Overview.jpg
Overview.jpg [ 86.24 KiB | Viewed 553 times ]

Lighting: JM GREEN Black Soldier Fly Breeding LED 20W https://www.evoconsys.com/products.html I have it on set. 15 hours a day.
Attachment:
File comment: I have placed the light on the side. It is clear the BSF are interested as they concentrate on the area.
Lighting.jpg
Lighting.jpg [ 72.14 KiB | Viewed 553 times ]

Humidity: 60%
Attachment:
File comment: I am using this humidifier. It is a little low and seems to be difficult to keep high humidity with a heater running.
Humidifier.jpg
Humidifier.jpg [ 91.53 KiB | Viewed 553 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This is the regulator.
Humidity Reg.jpg
Humidity Reg.jpg [ 69.45 KiB | Viewed 553 times ]

Heat: 80F
Attachment:
File comment: The heater.
Heater.jpg
Heater.jpg [ 91.34 KiB | Viewed 553 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Regulator for temperature.
Temp Reg.jpg
Temp Reg.jpg [ 71.56 KiB | Viewed 553 times ]

Brown Sugar Water
Attachment:
File comment: This is a chicken water that I put the water in with a mix of brown sugar. I placed a paper towel rolled up in the 'trough' to keep the flies from drowning.
Brown Sugar Water.jpg
Brown Sugar Water.jpg [ 64.15 KiB | Viewed 553 times ]

Egg Laying Location is right above some of the product from the bin. I used plastic, wood that I cut slits in and I am using a piece of cardboard. Seeing which works better.
Attachment:
Egg Laying Stuff.jpg
Egg Laying Stuff.jpg [ 127.14 KiB | Viewed 553 times ]

I also have a small plant in there. Not sure why but it seems like people say do it.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:24 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: No to little mating
fishin05 wrote:
Hello, first time on the forum here and wondering if anyone might be able to offer some advice.
Welcome to our community. I'll try to provide some answers below.

Quote:
This is my second trial. My first trial we had a almost no mating and very few eggs. My goal is to have a year around BSF operation inside.

First let me state: welcome to amateur hour. Please feel free to laugh at my setup with the lace on the mosquito netting. My goal is to prove concept before building it out to scale. Any and all advice would be welcome. I have been reading the forums and trying to put an affordable system together to show success before I move this to a medium size warehouse space for scalability.

That is a large area for just one light which is why the flies are congregating around it. They really do not require much room to mate so I'd suggest you downsize for your initial experiments. If you haven't already have a look at Small Scale Indoor Breeding topic (link) for examples. Initially consider doing away with the netting and instead using an enclosed container which will make it easier to maintain humidity. You also might be able to omit the humidifier and just mist the enclosure a few times a day. The flies will drink the water droplets off the walls of the container and so the "Brown Sugar Water" may not be necessary

Quote:
... Egg Laying Location is right above some of the product from the bin. I used plastic, wood that I cut slits in and I am using a piece of cardboard. Seeing which works better.
Good plan

Quote:
... I also have a small plant in there. Not sure why but it seems like people say do it.
It can provide a perch for the flies and also although them to find the level with a desired temperature (hotter high up). Larger commercial operations do not use these.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:15 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Excellent. Based on your feedback I made the following changes a moment ago:

1. Got rid of the large netting area and transferred to a 10 gal aquarium. Cut the netting and used as a lid.
2. Sprayed the sides with brown sugar water...unbelievable activity as soon as this was done. The BSF immediately began drinking the droplets.
3. Elevated the egg laying area over the food source taken from the original food area for the maggots. This was done with a sander belt as you can see.
4. Put the humidifier and heater on the outside still to activate when needed, however I think it will be much less due to the uptick of humidity from the spraying.

Looking forward to providing more updates.

Any thoughts on how long I should keep the light on each today?

Attachment:
File comment: Altered setup.
IMG_0931.jpg
IMG_0931.jpg [ 120 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]

Thanks,

-Scott

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:34 pm
Global Moderator

fishin05 wrote:
... Any thoughts on how long I should keep the light on each today?
I'm not sure what the right answer is. Currently I have the lights on an hour daily in a similarly size storage tote but I'm not concerned with producing large numbers, just maintaining the colony which was started in 2011. I suspect that more lighting would equate with more production up to a certain point but I've never seen any studies about this or information from the large commercial outfits.

Also I'd be worried about mold when spraying sugar water in a warm humid environment. It wasn't until fairly recently that it was known that the adults feed on nectar so there is justification for doing it but your original chicken waterer might be the better option. I use something similar, but with water only, to maintain humidity when I'm away.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:56 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

You will need about eight 20 Watt lamps, giving a total of around 10,000 lumens.
Here's my posting from 2011. It's the 8th posting on page 2.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=46&start=20

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]