View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 My BSF larvae are missing 

Post My BSF larvae are missing
Let me give you a bit of background - I have a barrel garden (like this http://www.half-pinthomestead.com/GardenBarrels.html, with a worm tunnel down the middle).
I live in Hong Kong, so 6 month's of the year it's super humid (95%) and rainy, then in winter temp drops to about 10degreesC max (so it's pretty much like southern Florida climate).
I have local worms (from the local leaf litter) and last year,I had an amazing colony of BSF larvae - that found my barrel themselves.
This year, I have a few small brown ants, other grubs but no BSF larvea, so my veg matter isn't getting eaten very fast.

Do you have any experience of other insects that will prevent BSF taking a hold?
The adult BSF flies are around, so I am guessing their eggs are being eaten before they hatch.
Do I need to get rid of the ants?
There are also some white (or pale) tiny flies (I suppose I shoiuld take a photo later) this year that I ddin't see last year.

Thanks,
Bruce

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:42 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: My BSF larvae are missing
Bruce welcome to our forum :) If you'd like you can introduce yourself here (link).

BoSee wrote:
... Do you have any experience of other insects that will prevent BSF taking a hold?
The adult BSF flies are around, so I am guessing their eggs are being eaten before they hatch.
Do I need to get rid of the ants?
Yes you need to be worried about ants. They will carry off the eggs and small larvae. There are various means of dealing with ants including moats or using Vaseline (petroleum jelly) to prevent them access.

You could try getting the BSF females to start a colony in a separate ant proofed container to seed your barrel garden. See the Attracting black soldier flies-the basics (link) topic for ideas.

Since you have a wild population of BSF we would love to add your location to our Black Soldier Fly Mapping Project (link). See the Range and Identification section (link) for instructions.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:24 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: My BSF larvae are missing
Bruce here's a search for "ants" (link) in these forums, which will give you more ideas for dealing with them .

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:36 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]