View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Eggs do not hatch after transfer to BSF bin - please help 

Post Eggs do not hatch after transfer to BSF bin - please help
Hi

I have had two batches of eggs successfully laid in my worm bin, which I transferred to my BSF bin for hatching. Neither resulted in any larvae. What might be going wrong?

The second batch of eggs in particular was really good - two large deposits on the cardboard - yet after transfer to the BSF bin they just vanished. It's been about 8 days and I have stirred through the medium, but nothing.

Finding BSF eggs is rare for me, so I really want to get the next step right! Heeelp!

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:17 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: Eggs do not hatch after transfer to BSF bin - please hel
Sorry to hear that. The eggs can desicate (dry out) if the humidity is low. Some of the formal scientific papers note that infertile eggs can occur too.

What are the conditions in your BSF bin? It might be an idea to put the collected egg clusters in an incubator. This would let them hatch out under controlled conditions and the larvae grow to a size where they could better survive.

Here're some forum search results for 'incubator' (link)

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:34 pm
Global Moderator

Finchy your larvae could still be quite small at this age. See the Black solidier fly larvae-variation in growth rate blog entry (link).

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:02 pm

I might try the incubator idea, so I can keep an eye on them until they are old enough to leave home!

After my first failed attempt I did make extra sure to keep the medium lightly moist, but that didn't help. Or I don't think it did. Perhaps they are in there and still tiny.

I also wondered whether there are other predatory species in/around the bin that might have made a meal of them???

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]