View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Getting from eggs to pupae 

Post Getting from eggs to pupae
Since I messed up my first try (see previous post - 'Should I start over?'), I am starting again, but again having problems. I've got LOTS of eggs, both those tucked inside the little cubbyholes of cardboard that was suspended over the bin and ones I scraped off the sides and roof of the grub bin. I didn't want them dropping in the muck that I'm trying to get the mature larvae out of, so I put them all in a small bucket with a little bit of papaya skin starting about a week ago. I've kept adding egg clusters, but I started with at least 10 egg clusters a week ago. I thought I'd heard that they hatch in 4 days. I'm in Hawaii, so the temp is never lower than 65 degrees at night if that makes a difference.

So now it's been a week since the start, the papaya is moist mush. It seems it would be ideal beginning grub food. It's only one one side of the bucket, but I thought I'd heard they could crawl to find food. Two days ago, I saw about 3 small grubs. Yesterday and today, I haven't found any.

We've got lots of wild BSF adults and I've about tripled their number with escapees from my bin.

The humidity is 70% to 80%, here, but the rest of the bottom of the bucket (other than where the papaya is) is dry. I spritz it every once in a while, but it dries out before I come back. Where's the right balance?

I do have LOTS of small fliers - fruit flies/gnats/who knows, but the number of house flies has decreased.

I'm still having trouble getting my photos small enough to post, but a friend is coming over that might be able to help me later.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:05 pm
Profile Send private message

Post Re: Getting from eggs to pupae
Just in case there's any newbies looking at my post because of the subject line -

My only conclusion is that winter is not the right time to start a bin. Even in Hawaii. The temperatures have been getting down to 60 degrees F!! (SHOCK) Probably more relevantly, we had about 2 months with 4 to 12 inches of rain daily. Winter is rainy season here, but it was way more than anyone else could remember. There's something in the paper about an El Nin~o.

I tried coffee grounds in a yogurt tub with a hole cut into the lid and tried putting the cardboard that eggs have been laid in into a gallon ziplock with an inch square of bread. You could tell it was humid in the bag, I thought I got REALLY little larvae, but they didn't make it. Both are tricks I read about here. I didn't make an incubator to increase the temperatures. There's just too many things to do on the farm to put time into that now. It will warm up and it did stop raining about 4 days ago. It still gets to 60 degrees or just below at night, but the days are finally sunny. I still have larvae in my gunk (don't ask) and the composting poopers. I'm going to start over soon now that the weather is better, but I'm going to post that question with a different subject line. Susan.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:26 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Getting from eggs to pupae
Susan wrote:
...My only conclusion is that winter is not the right time to start a bin. Even in Hawaii. The temperatures have been getting down to 60 degrees F!! (SHOCK)

I believe they are seasonal even in Florida so what you say makes sense. On the bright side, the days are getting longer and spring is on the way.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:31 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]