View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 BSF not mating? 

Post BSF not mating?
hi everyone, so since my last post, I've decided to built greenhouse so I can rear them during winter as well.

The problem I have now is that they're not mating. It is hot, def above 30degC, I tried to keep humidity above 30-60%, plenty of plants inside.
But apparently no go? I've only had two successful eggs batch/cluster.
There's only 7-10 adults in there but I dont think the small number is the issue, they all seems to cluster together all the time.

Any help is appreciated.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:34 am
Profile Send private message

Post Re: BSF not mating?
Two clusters from 10 adults sounds pretty good to me :lol:
I think they also need a week or two to settle down.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:19 am

Post Re: BSF not mating?
Two clusters means 1-2 thousand eggs. It takes a lot of time. I know I got very impatient for the first 3 or 4 months. The adults are attracted to the smell of eggs and larvae eating. It may take a while, but in 6 months you'll look back and be amazed how many you have. I didn't feed any of the larvae to the chickens until I had a good number of grubs. I tried to start my bin in Hawaii last winter. I figured that the season wouldn't make much of a difference. It did! I had to give up and start again because I didn't plan for good drainage and aeration and just didn't start well. I restarted when it was still winter but kind of stopped focusing so much on the bin and did other things and kept minimal maintenance. Now I have more than I can count or easily feed and the chickens are very happy campers!

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]