View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Using Jackfruit in my BSFL bin 

Post Using Jackfruit in my BSFL bin
A number of posts recommend Jackfruit. It indeed is something they seem to like a LOT, but it creates a LOT of frasse. Since I'm in a tropical area, (Hawaii, Big Island), I don't have the winter to clean out my bin and the fruit are HUGE. Does anyone have any recommendations on dealing with the frasse? There are parts of the fruit they don't eat, but when I go to put them in my worm bin, there are often lots of tiny BSFL clinging. I almost wonder if I need to build a second bin and start feeding just it and not the other one, but it was a lot of work for my husband to build the first and I doubt he'd go for building another. Susan.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:16 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Using Jackfruit in my BSFL bin
No suggestions other than what you mentioned (a second bin to alternate with) but I would imagine that there are a few folks here who would love to have your problem ;)

With my small indoor system I'm able to isolate the frass from the adults and transfer any larvae that self harvest back to the main bin. Even at my small scale it takes weeks/months for all the larvae to leave the frass. Not practical at all at your scale.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:40 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Yeah, I've been in to worming for about 20 years and did it indoors in my studio apt. (I did let it go anaerobic as a newbie, but only ONCE!) I married a farmer on the Big Island (I was living on Oahu) and now I'm helping around the farm and feeding the chickens with grubs and worms as well as contributing to the farm's fertility. The worms go NUTS over the frass!

When you said 'main bin', do you have 2 bins? What do you put your frass in to let it 'mature'?

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:02 pm
Global Moderator

Susan I'm very small scale (apartment). My main bin is a storage tote with a margarine tub for the larvae. When the tub is full of frass I transfer about half of it to another tub which is kept in an ice cream pail with a lid. I check that daily and transfer any larvae that have crawled out the tub and are in the bottom of the pail.

There's more info in the Small Scale Indoor Breeding topic (link).

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:29 pm

BorealWormer wrote:
Susan I'm very small scale (apartment). My main bin is a storage tote with a margarine tub for the larvae. When the tub is full of frass I transfer about half of it to another tub which is kept in an ice cream pail with a lid. I check that daily and transfer any larvae that have crawled out the tub and are in the bottom of the pail.

Thank you - that's the best idea I've heard. I think it's scale-able. I can put a 5 gallon bucket of frasse inside of a rubbermaid type tote. I'll let you know how things work! Susan.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:41 pm
Global Moderator

Looking forward to hearing how it works for you Susan.

One suggestion is to not allow the larvae enough time to pupate and eclose as adults. The last thing you want is for adults to mate and lay eggs in your tote so check it frequently. Just in case it might be an idea to use an opaque tote as I don't believe they'll mate without light.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:36 pm

It sounds like you're recommending I have a lid on the tote. I hadn't thought of that. I planned on finding an old, perhaps damaged tote somewhere on the farm and using that. I thought if I put some old towel down around the bucket, I'd dry them off as they came down the bucket and prevent them from climbing the tote. That seems to work (more-or-less) in my collection buckets and the ends of the bin. I certainly will check for egg deposits! That would have me starting from ground zero again! I haven't found a tote yet and may get one next time I go into the city. Susan.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]