View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Waxy residue 

Post Waxy residue
I have a weird yellowish, greyish, greenish waxy residue that's getting on everything inside my bin. I don't know if it's normal for BSFL bins or because I mostly feed it jack fruit which has some really sticky latex like material. It gets on my hands and I've had to use a degreaser to clean my hands and they still smell bad after 3-4 washings. Is this normal? It's on the sides of my bin and gets on the banana peels and avocado peels I pull out of the bin. Thanks for all your help. I wouldn't have been as successful as I am without your web site!!!! Susan.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:01 am
Profile Send private message

Post Re: Waxy residue
I take it that no one else has this problem or they would have said so. I guess it's peculiar to jack fruit. I suppose I'll find out for sure when the jack fruit season ends. Susan

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:01 pm

I'll try a small batch next time we get some JF. We're in Colorado so when we get it, it is not a common treat around here.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:50 pm

I'm on a 22 acre farm on the Big Island of Hawaii that the former owners planted with various trees, including about 5 jack fruit trees. Most of them don't taste as good as one in particular, so I get the bad ones for the grubs. The JF season is almost over and I'm not sure how I'm going to keep up with them after that. Avos and citrus are coming in and I get the grounders, but that will be a lot less volume of food. One Hawaii friend said it was boom and bust on her farm nearby, depending on what was available.

Just a warning. There's LOTS of frass with JF. They get something out of the non-fruit part, because I always see them burrowing in to the stringy part, but there's always a lot left over as well.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:06 am
Global Moderator

Susan wrote:
... The JF season is almost over and I'm not sure how I'm going to keep up with them after that.
At least with a wild BSF population to 'seed' your bins they should rebound when food is plentiful again. Have you considered trying to get coffee shop or grocery store waste?

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:17 am
Profile Send private message WWW

I get coffee grounds from Starbucks when I'm in Hilo , but that's a 45 minute drive one way, so it's not that often. Also, there are a lot of farmers after it, so they often don't have any. I like that I can give my worms just cardboard if I run out of other things. I haven't needed to do the cardboard since I'm getting so much frasse from the grubs. The worms just LOVE that. I feed worms to the chickens when I'm harvesting vermicompost, so they'll still get something when there aren't any grubs. Also, you're right about the wild population. I shouldn't have trouble getting the bin going again.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]