View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 BSF starter kit - optional with Bio-composter orders 
Site Admin

Post BSF starter kit - optional with Bio-composter orders
I would love to know how "the kids" arrived and if you have any questions about installing the kit. As always, general feedback is welcomed.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:06 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Starter kit support
I installed an egg starter kit in one of my composters, added some rotting peppers and coffee, and left the unit flooded to the top of the coir.
Attachment:
BSF Bio-composter Aug 1 2013.jpg
BSF Bio-composter Aug 1 2013.jpg [ 424.88 KiB | Viewed 5039 times ]

Attachment:
BSF egg starter kit after two days.jpg
BSF egg starter kit after two days.jpg [ 244.97 KiB | Viewed 5039 times ]

The hatchery which holds the eggs has a hole in the lid and is inverted onto moistened bread. This loosely seals the hatchery to maintain vital moisture inside. As the larvae grow they will eat their way out of the hatchery and into the waste. Some of the larvae may remain inside the hatchery for several days. When most of the larvae have left the hatchery, the lid may be removed and any remaining larvae rinsed into the composter.

The main purpose of the 2000 larvae is to attract your local BSF females which are very attracted to chemicals that the larvae release. Smaller larvae are the most attractive which is why it's a good strategy to start out with eggs. Actually, in most cases, the eggs usually hatch during shipping so you will begin with tiny larvae. Under optimal conditions the tiny larvae will reach full size in about three weeks.

I also began by adding some rotting produce and coffee grounds because that too will attract local BSF females. I don't recommend adding meats to the composter until you have fairly dense colony established. Fermented grains are another good bait to attract BSF. You may want to read my post about the basics of attracting BSF: LINK

By keeping the unit flooded you will maintain high humidity in the unit and concentrate the larvae on the surface, where new food will be placed. In the absence of flooding, it's important to monitor the bread daily and add water as needed to keep it wet.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:49 pm

Post Re: BSF starter kit - optional with Bio-composter orders
I just ordered the 12-gallon bin, and I've searched in vain for the "starter kit" that can be purchased with it. Can you tell me where to find it on the site?

Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:42 am
Profile Send private message
Site Admin

Starter kits are longer an option on our composter purchase page. We discontinued kits this year.

If you wish to purchase larvae I recommend getting them from Alfredo: LINK

Thanks!

PS. If your decision to buy our composter was based on starter kit availability, you have the option of cancelling your order up until the time we ship.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:41 pm

hi , i am interested in purchasing the 6 gallon composter. Still available ? franciscopenaloza (at) rocketmail.com

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:40 am
Site Admin

Hi jci8388. I've basically closed the shop. One reason is that the latch bin I've used is no longer in production, and my dimensions and templates are specifically designed for that box. Besides that, it's never been a profitable venture, and my regular work is keeping me very busy.

If I can find a suitable bin to use, and if I can also find the time to organize my shop and build a unit, I'll get in touch with you.

Thanks!

Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi Jerry, I bought a system from you a while back and it's worked great for me. I'm cleaning it out and re-starting, and I'd like a link to your most recent instructions. I've seen that you have instructions for using coir as a substrate, and I'd like to try that.

I found a link elsewhere in this forum, but it yielded a "page not found" error. If you have a current link, I'd be grateful.

Thu May 04, 2017 4:38 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]