View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:04 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 How to Provide Shade 

Post How to Provide Shade
I don't have a good spot in my yard to put the bio composter that is in shade all day. Most areas in my yard have at least a few hours of sunlight, which I believe in summer could be lethal to the grubs. What have folks found is an easy way to provide shade? Maybe I could build a wood frame box with shade cloth sides to put it in? Or would air flow be a greater concern then? Any thoughts and ideas are helpful. Thanks.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:59 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Post Re: How to Provide Shade
Go to a sign shop and buy a sheet of coroplast for a few bucks and put it on top of your composter. The white will reflect sunlight and the air pockets will insulate. Should drop temperatures considerably versus sitting in direct sunlight.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:20 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Building supply stores like HomeDepot should also have coroplast.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:40 pm
Site Admin

Thanks MRW, that's a great idea.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks for the ideas. Is coroplast the material that lawn signs for political candidates are made of? Do you think that just lining the box on all sides with coroplast would make it able to withstand direct sun for a few hours in the morning when ambient temperature is 90 degrees F or so?

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:53 am
Global Moderator

c.s.carnevale wrote:
Is coroplast the material that lawn signs for political candidates are made of?
Yes but the signs can be made out of fairly thin stuff. Coroplast comes in a variety of thicknesses suitable for different uses.

Quote:
Do you think that just lining the box on all sides with coroplast would make it able to withstand direct sun for a few hours in the morning when ambient temperature is 90 degrees F or so?
FWIW I think it would probably be better to build a little 'doghouse' from coroplast to fit over the bin so that there will be air circulation.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:09 am

Yes! I think I might like to build a little "doghouse" out of plywood with a gate so that opossums can't bother the BSF. I could do an outside layer of coroplast or maybe if I were to be building the house anyway, maybe just painting it white would do the trick. Has anyone tried something like this that you know of?

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:14 am
Global Moderator

c.s.carnevale wrote:
... Has anyone tried something like this that you know of?
Not that I can remember at this moment but there have been some pretty inventive ideas for dealing with hot sunshine. This is one is unique Water cooled black soldier fly pod (link).

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:31 am

Aluminum foil works for me

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:03 pm
Profile Send private message
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]